Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my bargain '65 SS gauges showed up yesterday. Other than being totally filthy they appear in pretty good shape. I'll have to touch up a few of the engraved numerals in the lens, but that's no biggie.

The wiring was also complete and uncut just as advertised! I honestly am surprised about this one, how many underdash harnesses have survived nearly 40 years with all the connectors in place and no splices or "fixes"?

Anyway, more to my point. I took a tired AA 1.5 volt battery and when touching it to the amp, fuel and temp gauges I get a needle reaction. The fuel gauge reacted just barely and very slowly but the needle did move. The amp and temp gauges moved fairly quickly and fully. Reversing the poles on each gauge made the needle move in opposite directions.

So! I've proven the gauges work but I haven't "gauged" if they are accurate. I'll try to do some temporary connections to my coupe system to see if they register in the same way as those gauges as I know they work properly. I just hope I don't fry something testing the amp gauge!

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Elree Colby:
The amp gauge is pretty tough. If all you used was a 1.5 volt battery you didn't fry it.
No, I was referring to my plans to temporarily hook up the new gauges to the harness in my coupe as a "real world" test. I'll have to run some temporary jumper wires from the wiring harness to the new gauges. I'll have to be extra careful to make sure my jumper wires don't cause a short circuit in the process. I guess there are fuses in the system in the coupe, but I'd rather not tempt fate with a short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts