Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will an aftermarket am/fm stereo work with the stock 70 window antenna? It works fine right now with the stock pushbutton AM, but I want to add a hideaway am/fm & cd player and was wondering if the stock antenna will pick up fm reception. I will not drill any holes in my car for a fender mount.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have a 70 Malibu with an Alpine hi end fm/cassete deck installed connected to fm antenna in windshield. As a matter of fact, I just replace the Windshield when it was resealed due to leaking. The connector was corroded so much it could not be repaired.

So, be WARNED
, if you unplug the antenna wire, you might find a corroded antenna connector like I did.

The new winshield cost 167.00 installed by the way. I was not about to put an aftermarket antenna in my fender either.
DG

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a 70 that originaly came with an am/8-track (which is now long gone). The windsheild antena seems to work fine with the fm stereo in it now.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The winshield antenna will work fine. All antennas are cut to a size (wave length) to match the frequency of the radio they recieve for...what? It isn't dependant on the radio. It's dependant on the frequency and those anteennas are cut for the FM band.

The only down side is that the "in glass" antennas are horizontally polorized (they lay out horizontally) and FM stations transmit vertical (like the conventional car antenna). It might be a little less sensative but should work just fine.

Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.