Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....Took the motor out and put it back in. Everything was fine before. When I put it back in and bolted everything up, the flywheel is rubbing the top corner of the Bell Housing in about 2 different spots (on the flywheel) during a complete turn over. My question is, what could have caused or be causing this, and will it simply quit when I run the engine? Keep in mind that I can turn the engine over by hand and that the flywheel does not look warped at all. Please HELP!!!!

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
Ain't no way Bubba! Something ain't buttoned up right. Somewhere, somehow!
Did you do ANYTHING different? Change anything? Different bell housing? did you drop the bell housing and put a big dent in it?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tom's right... can't happen unless something didn't go back together the way it came apart or you changed something. Is it a flywheel or flexplate(manual or auto)?
Bryan

BTW...DON'T fire it up 'til you get this figured out. It won't go away by itself.

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you properly alinged in the pegs. That sounds impossible to have the flywheel or flexpalte touch the housing. If it was misalinged I don't undaerstand how you could of lined up the torque converter or insert the tranny into the pilot??????

------------------
383 69 Chevelle
Citrus Heights, CA
http://www.x86Racing.com (Daves Pics)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is it manual or auto? If auto, the flex plate could be bent, possible when the motor was being installed (have done it before) If it's manual, it could be the clutch cover rubbing. Is it the original clutch cover? or flex plate?
PS check the dowel pins were not pushed back into the block when it was reinstalled

------------------
Jim
70 El Camino
77 SS El Camino (wife's)
69 CorV8
Springfield, Oregon
Team Chevelle #284 Gold
ACES #3227

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, Is it possible the tranny could be in a bind? The car was jacked up a little unlevel when the motor was installed. Could taking the tranny lose and putting it back in help? Nothing was changed here.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I had this happen before, when running it made so much noise it sounded like a rod banging. while I was looking around the engine trying to figure it out, it stopped completely, dont know if it "self clearanced" itself or what, but didnt have any problems. I figure the flexplate got knocked when the engine went in, but it didnt cause any problems and I ran it dirt track racing at high rpms. the other time I had this happen was with a v8 vega I had, somehow I got a th350 trans which had a physically smaller bellhousing and would only accept the smaller chevy flexplate. But in this case the flexplate was touching all the way around the upper bellhousing and there was no sense even trying to start the engine. Dont know what the trans came from originally, but because it was small it fit great in the vega..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.