12,846 Posts
Kevin,
I couldn't get it to link up.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Administrator
16,168 Posts
OUCH It could have been fatal, I saw one that had come thru the floor of a 57 Chevy and caused leg injuries and sent the driveshaft up thru the trunk floor and half way out the trunk lid.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
So Kevin, how much do you want for that pristine Muncie?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys,

Sorry to mislead but that's NOT my car - a friend of mine saw it on the web. I love the "Hey what's this?" comment. The humbling thing is that it could be me...

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Wow... wonder what he was tacking when it came apart? I was considering taking that heavy lakewood off and putting the stock bellhousing back on. I guess I'll leave the lakewood on.

------------------
Mike Crosby
MCC #349 ACES #2334, TC Gold #64

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mike,
What is your Lakewood made of? Is it just steel? About how thick?
My concern is that they do not make a scattershield for the Borg Warner T56 6-speed that I installed. After seeing this, I feel I need to make something so this does not ever happen to me. I used to use a truck bellhousing with my M21, that is what I am referring to above. I never felt safe with the aluminum ones.
Thanks,
Tom

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tom Kordick (edited 09-17-99).]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
What if your car doesn't have a bellhousing? I have a '70 Elky with a TH-350 automatic and the tranny doesn't have a bellhousing. Is this dangerous? As far as I know a bellhousing is the thing that's on the bottom of the transmission and covers the flywheel and torque converter. Is this dangerous?

·
Registered
283 Posts
In the case of an automatic, not having the dust cover isn't particularly dangerous except maybe to Armadillos, Possums and such as may get jamed in there and ground up on the flexplate ring gear.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There's a local guy here who used to race cars. His clutch blew all to hell and tore his leg up and his right foot off. That was over 15 years ago, and he's real well known for rebuilding muncies (he did mine). Because of what happened to him I will always use a blowproof bell housing. We all like to get on 'em every now and them. At least blanket them.

------------------
Tony Z
Team Chevelle member #358
Utica, NY
'67 Chevelle SS Convertible Project
Seeking '70 Chevelle SS Hardtop
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.