Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see our moderators have put the American Flag next to all team members names, and I salute them for that action.

As I got to work today, a friend sent this email to me, and I simply had to share it for everyone to fly their flag, wherever they can:

"September 11, 2001

Friends-

As I was driving down my street in Glen Ellyn, I noticed that many of my
neighbors had put out their American flags. Seeing this, many thoughts ran
through my head and my heart.

Today was a horrible day. Our country, and all that we stand for, was
brutally attacked. The cowards who orchestrated this event obviously do not
understand the American people.

We don't back down from bullies.

We don't fear their gross attempts to limit our freedoms.

And we will not stop living the way we do in the greatest country in the
world.

They simply cannot stop our quest for democracy and freedom.

Please- for the next few weeks (or months or years), fly your America flag.
Let the world see that Americans are brave, powerful, and unafraid. Show the
world that we are "One nation, Under God, Indivisible." And demonstrate that
we will not forget those who lost their lives today.

Fly flags on your houses, on your cars, and at your offices. Let us show our
love and support for our President, for the workers, the public servants, the
police and firemen, and the families whose lives were shattered.

Fly your American Flag! God Bless America!"

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Ditto on the AMEN.

------------------
They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time.
68 SS-396/68 Corvette/68 Mustang

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I absolutely agree.

First thing I did when I got home was fly EVERY American Flag I own.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

------------------
72 Chevelle Convertible (all SS options, no SS badging)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
AMEN

------------------
2000 WS6 Trans Am
ASC #7894
------------------
70 SS396 Chevelle

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know if it's really appropriate though for all of the team members...some are from Canada.

Although I feel bad about the whole terrorist attack and feel sympathy for everyone who lost their lives and their families, if I was a team member I would not want an American flag flying next to my name (hey..I'm proud that I live in my country too).

Now I in no way mean this as any sort of disrespect. I know that this attack has really heightened your guys' nationality (and rightfully so), so I applaude your pride. I just think that it kinda trounces on the Canuck members. Perhaps the Canadian members could have a waving Canadian flag at half-staff, to show that we too feel the pain, but to still respect our individuality. I believe that most of the American members would feel the same way if a disaster like that happened in Canada, and they flew Canadian flags next to everyone's name.

Anyway, sorry to disrupt this really positive post with some negativity (I usually hate when people chirp in like this). I know that any sort of flag issues pale in comparison to some of the problems that people all over the world now have to deal with because of this event. I should also say that this is just my opinion on if I would want a flag next to my name if I was a member, and should be taken only as that. To other Canadians who are members, it might not matter. I might also have been wrong in my saying that American members would feel the same if the situation was reversed. Again, it's just how I feel.

Without becoming too negative, I'd like to once again give my best personal wishes to all those around the world who are affected by this.

Thanks for listening to this...

- Matt
'69 Chevelle

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
Absolutely agree with you, Matt. I am pleased to have "my" flag next to my name. But I understand your situation.

Al, the Big Doggie, no doubt had a hand in this. Again, Thanks, Al. And you're Canadian!

I had to improvise. Six feet of exhaust tubing rammed into the ground about six inches. The flag I bought from the VFW is "tyrapped" to it. I'll get a better staff and some concrete soon.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Yesterday, I posted in one of the many threads that all of us are New Yorkers now, even those of us who have never been there. That's how hard this act has hit us all.
So Matt, if something like this had happened in Toronto or Vancouver, I would proudly fly the Canadian flag as a show of support and sympathy. I would have no problem seeing the Maple Leaf beside my user name on this site.
A tragedy like this transcends borders. This would not be a bonding of fellow countrymen, but a bonding of fellow humans.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I don't think this version of the UBB system allows each member to have a different graphic. The big guy (Al) here is a Canadian and many of the paid members are as well. I believe it was an kind gesture of compassion and I truly would be glad to sport a Canadian flag if the shoe were on the other foot!!

------------------
...Dennis
www.camaroslimited.com

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts

[This message has been edited by Sid Coleman (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Sorry Matt, but I have to agree with Randy and DJ. Had I access to a U.S. flag right now I would be flying it proudly. Right next to my Canadian flag for the Canadians that also died in the WTC on Tuesday. I have never been to the U.S.A., and not felt like or been treated like I belong, and and always felt like I am at home. At a time like this, we are not Americans and Canadians. We are North Americans, and we need each other.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really don't want to argue this too much, because I realize it is really trivial (compared to everything else that is so much more important). I do understand what you guys are saying, and I do respect that you feel that way. I now understand the technical limitation of it (UBB code), but it still slightly bothers me.

Although the pain and sorrow does transcend borders, I don't believe the strength of it does. Like you, I feel angry that thousands of people just like you or I, died in a senseless act, however, I don't feel the same sense of personnel attack that I know all you Americans feel. If one your next door neighbor's family members is murdered, then of course you are angry and sad, but you can not even attempt to feel the amount of anger and sorrow that they personally do. I think that that difference clearly seperates us, even at a time such as this. Another indication is sports: our CFL is resuming this weekend while your NFL is postponing games until next weekend. It's not as if the CFL doesn't care about the disaster...it's just that it wasn't quite appropriate, given the fact that we are two seperate nations.

Again, this is just how I personally feel. Some Canadians (as indicated by the above posts) would disagree with me, and on the other hand some Americans would agree with me. I agree that the flags at half-staff are a great way to show that we all care, I was just saying that it would be a bit more appropriate to have different flags. Even after this horendous tragedy, I am first and foremost a Canadian, not a North American and not a Earthling. Others perhaps don't agree with me, and I'm not trying to change anyones mind. That is one thing that makes both of our countries so great (and something that is defenitely in danger due to these attacks): freedom. Freedom of opinion and freedom of thought. I know that even if you don't agree with me, you will respect my opinion as I am respecting yours.

Finally, I'd like to say that it is obvious that this event has hit everyone (no matter the country) very hard. It makes me very happy that everyone is showing that concern and respect in whatever way they deem best, even if it is not the way that I would. Lets all use whatever influence we have over whatever God/Thing we each believe in and lend it to anyone who is a victim of this terrible tragedy.

- Matt
'69 Chevelle

[This message has been edited by Matt73 (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll Fly the flag ...if for nothing else but in support of the people missing and the act that should have never happened...........god bless our friends south of us.

·
Registered
340 Posts
EVERYONE here shares the loss no matter where we are from. The flag is a symbol for ALL no matter where they are from, for those who lost their lives on US soil. Many nations have lost citizens and stand together in sharing the loss and will stand together in bringing those responsible to justice.
As for you Matt, I diasagree but respect your opinion. But then again since you are NOT a member, I feel it is a mute point.... I see no flag flying by your name!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Proud to have my flag flying here at home and at Team Chevelle, God be with those who are suffering and ease their pain. Amen

------------------
RicksRag
Stephen City, Va
TC # 560
ACES # 3702

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Matt - The US was just the target! The attack was on freedom! I think that makes it personal to Canadians or any other country that believes in freedom. This tradegy cannot be compared to a single act of violence as you describe. Killing thousands is meant as an act of WAR against freedom.

I believe there is a safety factor keeping sporting events from taking place on US soil this weekend. Having 50,000 plus people gather at stadiums all over the country when terriorists are still trying to get back on planes and wanna-be's are calling in bomb threats left and right is not wise.

Bottom line is we're all in this one together, we need unity among the free everywhere to stamp out terrorism. I believe Colen Powell (sp?) said yesterday that the US will lead the fight on terrorism starting with this most recent attack but that it isn't going to stop there. He said we will continue after terrorists everywhere....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.