Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the fly wfeel on my 71ss 454,turbo 350 trans, is there anything special i need to do or know before i replace it.
And is it a very difficult job to do at home.

------------------

·
Registered
875 Posts
I guess I'd have to say that "difficult" is a relative term. For some, this might be considered a difficult job indeed. I don't think it is a difficult job, but it can be time consuming, dependent upon your experience and/or mechanical inclination, help from others, and tools. My advice would be to read what you can find on this particular procedure, line up the tools needed, enlist the help of a friend or two, and go for it. In the "for what its worth" department, you will be replacing a flexpalte. Flywheels are found in manual shift vehicles.
Good luck!

Oh, and I believe the 454 utilizes an externally ballanced flexplate. Don't let anyone tell you that a flexplate from a 396 will work. Read, Read, Read!

Patrick

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

[This message has been edited by Merlin (edited 12-21-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merlin:
I guess I'd have to say that "difficult" is a relative term. For some, this might be considered a difficult job indeed. I don't think it is a difficult job, but it can be time consuming, dependent upon your experience and/or mechanical inclination, help from others, and tools. My advice would be to read what you can find on this particular procedure, line up the tools needed, enlist the help of a friend or two, and go for it. In the "for what its worth" department, you will be replacing a flexpalte. Flywheels are found in manual shift vehicles.
Good luck!

Oh, and I believe the 454 utilizes an externally ballanced flexplate. Don't let anyone tell you that a flexplate from a 396 will work. Read, Read, Read!

Patrick

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Merlin, one more question to clear up,i was always under the impression that the flywheel is where the starter spins the engine i have never heard it refered to as a flexplate.

------------------

·
Registered
875 Posts
Bill,
It's a matter of symantics really. The flywheel is where the starter engages, on a manual shift car. On an automatic, the starter engages the teeth on the flexplate.
But that is where the similarities end. They are two very distinct pieces of hardware and serve very distinct purposes. Most parts houses will know what you mean if you ask for a flywheel for a TH350, but just in case, call it a flexplate.
Knowledge is power, Read, Read, Read.

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

[This message has been edited by Merlin (edited 12-21-2001).]

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The most common mistake made when pulling an autopmatic transmission for the first time is failing to properly reinstall the torque converter back up in the front of the transmission. Failure to install it properly will result in a complete transmission rebuild. The torque converter must not only be installed propely on the input shaft and front pump stator shaft, but it must also engage the two ears of the front pump drive.

Most of the time, when the transmission is removed, the converter slips forward and disengages itself from the pump and splined shafts. Inexperienced mechanics usually do not know to check it before reinstalling the transmission. When you get to that point, we will talk you through it. It's not as difficult as I've described, it just takes a little patience to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bill71, The tools that others referred to do not mean socket wrenches and screwdrivers. If you can't get the car high enough with a lift or jack stands and don't have a trans jack you are in for a heck of a time. Or maybe you have better friends than I do. This is really not a job for one that doesn't know the differnce between a flywheel and a flexplate without some good assistance. Sorry to be a smart a## I guess its the Miller Lite talking. Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is a real pain in the butt...but

You can remove the driveshaft, undo the tranny cooler lines

Then undo the torque convertor to flexplate bolts

Remove the crossmember, but leave it attached to the tranny

Remove the engine to tranny bolts, slide the tranny back about an inch.

Then you can lower the tranny just enough so that you can slide it back 2 inches or so, but leave it in contact with the underside of the body.

This makes it a heck of a lot easier to replace the tranny, since it's still pretty much lined up.

It's a real pain working in those 2" of space you'll have, but it's worth the trade in that, if you're careful, the torque convertor won't come unseated, and you don't have to jack the tranny way back up. Make sure you use the correct bolts for the flexplate to crank, and torque them to spec!

Good luck!

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
67 Chevelle (I wish, still looking and saving)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

[This message has been edited by ledsled (edited 12-22-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.