Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the differences in performance and sound between the 2 chamber and 3 chamber Flowmaster is...Plan on putting one or the other on a 3" system for a 502..Thx, JC66.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have the 2 chamber on my 454 with 2-1/2 out the back. It is sounds nice outside the car, not too loud, but it is definetly alot louder inside the car particularly on the highway. The constsnt drone can be tiresome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm running a 383 with a set of headers and the 2 1/2 in. dual flowmaster kit with 3 chamber mufflers. At iddle the exhaust note isn't that loud, but under acceleration they are more than loud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am running a mild 350 with hedders and 2 chamber flows. I like the sound of a 2 chamber, they have more of a race car sound to them. They are really loud though under full accelleration, but I would get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have flows on my 64 they are three chambers they are plenty loud for me especially since I don't have tail pipes now just 45 degree exhaust dumps. I have a 327. My moms camaro is a little more similar to what you are shooting for. Her 67' has a crate 454 with the full 'American thunder' 3 inch setup on with the crossover pipe. Full Flowmaster kit with 2 chambers it is only slightly louder than my malibu. Both cars can set off import car alarms at will. They also both sound really good to us.
Good Luck, Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 10-19-98).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put 3 chambers with a full 2 1/4" system on my car and have never found it to be too loud, although my mufflers are the old non-aluminized flowmasters and I swear that they sound different than the newer ones. But, my girlfriend has an American Thunder system on her rustang which has 2 chambers, and at steady cruise the drone can blot out the stereo and get alittle annoying.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i'm running 2.5" all the way with a cross over (important to power and sound) matched with 3 chamber flows. if anything i'd like it a little louder. it's a muscle car it's suppose to make a little noise. john
ps never had any legal problems with the noise with neighbors or police. good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
A crossover pipe lowers the backpressure and sound by letting the exhaust system use both mufflers at the same time. To help make this clearer to understand, just imagine the exhaust valve opening on only one cylinder. The exhaust gas travels through the pipe until it comes to the crossover pipe. Now it can divide the volume of exh gas in half and travel through both mufflers which lowers back pressure and noise.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The crossover is used to increase torque. It has the same effect as tuning a drag race engine with various size (diam. and length) collector extensions. More collector length means more exhaust scavenging.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm running a 454 with 3 inch to the mufflers, and 2 1/2 out the back. The mufflers are 2 chamber Flowmasters, and it is Loud. The previous system used the same mufflers but with 2 1/2 to the mufflers and 2 1/4 tailpipes. That was not nearly so noisy. It does sound good, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I run a 350/350 with hedders 2 1/2 2 Chamber Flows and I love them. The sound is load and even louder under accel, but I would never get rid of them. I just dynoed my car the other day and I tell you there ain't nothing like standing next to your car hitting each gear at 5000RPM, the raw sound was just awsome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a bunch of girls! Flowmasters - loud, give me a break! Remember when Cherry Bombs were 'in', now that's loud. I had 2 chamber Flow's on my 71' and also run them on my 87' Monte SS, both cars with Headmann headders and real dual exhaust w/ NO crossovers. Both cars have a 'healthy' sound to them, you know they are muscle cars, BUT they are definitely NOT compareable to something you would hear at the local oval track on a saturday night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
COPO, actually your right, I was a teen when Cherry Bonbs were 'in', about 10-15 years ago. Maybe those loud mufflers caused some hearing damage, because Flowmasters don't sound that loud to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.