Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know we have beat this issue to death, but here is my dilemma. I have a '69 SS with 396, headers, Flowmaster 2.5" pipes, and Flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers. The system is much too loud for my taste. It sounds great, but too loud. I have see postings on this site that say the Walker DynoMax Hemi Turbos are much quieter. How much quieter? When I had my flowmasters installed, the muffler connections were welded. There will be substantial cutting involved to replace the mufflers. Because of this, I don't want to spend this money to have the DynoMax's installed if they are only slightly quieter. Have any of you had both the Flowmaster and DynoMax on your big-block car? I am looking for a substantial reduction in noise. Would you say the DynoMax sound is closer to a stock muffler sound, or more like a Flowmaster? I would also consider a stock muffler. However, I don't want to kill the performance.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,652 Posts
The Hemi Super Turbos are probably closer to stock sound than to Flow's, but you can still hear them. I had Hooker Comps on mine (2 1/2" pipes) and replaced them with regular Super Turbos. Much quieter but still some sound. A friend has Hemi Super Turbos on his '70 396. They're probably the quietest non-stock type muffler you can get. It depends on how quiet you want. If you want to not hear the exhaust at all inside the car while at a steady cruise, you probably should get stock-type mufflers. If you can stand just a little sound, I think the Hemi Super Turbos are the way to go. von

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Instead of replacing the mufflers, how about an H pipe. Weld a pipe between the two exhaust pipes in front of the mufflers and it will reduce the noise a bunch by equalizing the number of pulses per pipe. Sonds like a lot of nonsense, but it works.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. My Flowmaster kit already has the H pipe in it. It is still way too loud for my taste. I don't know how much the H pipe helped because it has always been there.

Jeff

·
Registered
138 Posts
I installed the Hemi Dynomax Mufflers with a crossover. The crossover and headpipes are 3" with 2.5" tailpipes. It is very quiet. I was very surprised. It is the quietest car I have ever owned. My belief is that the noise just attracts the cops. BTW, this is with a 454.

------------------

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hello Jeff,

After 10 years of Hooker Super Competition mufflers, I recently installed Walker Hemi Super Turbo's (p/n 17749) on my big block Chevelle (468 cid, 2 1/8 Hooker headers, large hydralic cam, 10:1 comp). The difference in noise while driving the car is night and day. Still sounds crisp when reving it off idle. Car has 2 1/2 with balance tube, and 2 1/4 tailpipes.

At idle the Walkers sound just as "tough" or good as the Hookers did, but at cruise speeds the Walkers sound awesome, and the car is much more comfortable to drive. I suspect your Flowmasters are loud when driving around town. My Hooker mufflers were great, but loud, and sounded something like a glass-pack when I got on the car. Maybe they were a little worn out after ten years. They were always loud at cruise speeds.

You should not lose an once of performance with the Walkers. I researched this and found a great article in Hot Rodding magazine a few months back where Walker Hemi Mufflers were tested against other mufflers on a drag car, and given top ratings for low noise, low backpressure, and great ET's. Almost to good to be true.

Even my friends say my car sounds much better these days!

Good luck, Joe.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have had the Walker Super Hemi Turbos and headers on my big block for 6 years and they are just like Joe and the others describe. The Flowmasters are for Mustangs as I prefer to walk quietly and carry a big stick.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Flow Masters will quit down a little bit after they get some carbon built up inside. H-pipe ....big YES. I've heard of some people adding short "Glass-Pac" resinators along with the Flow Masters, in their system to quite it down???

·
Registered
91 Posts
The H-Pipe will help lot's on the sound but I'm curious as to what series of flowmasters you have installed currently. There is differences between the 40,50,30 and 70 series mufflers from Flowmaster... 40 being the loudest an 70 the quietest (close to stock) muffler.

I'm running the 70's. They seem pretty quiet to me.

------------------
Jim Morrison
'71 SS 454

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.