Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the 2 1/2in kit from flowmaster for my 68 chevelle and was wondering if anyone else put one of these on themselves and if they had any problems. For example with the hangers they give you, or if you had to cut any of the pipes or add any parts.

thanks lucky3

·
Registered
326 Posts
I hung it myself on my 65 using the supplied hardware. Then I drove to the local muffler shop and had them make me a custom collector reducer. And they also aligned the mufflers so the hung strait, they have this nifty jack that does this. And I had them weld the pipes after the were Aligned, Looks real good, and I don't have to worry about clamps coming loose.

Thats my experience. They shop charged me $60 for the reducer and welding all the pipes. I am happy with the result

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just put the 2 1/2" system in my 71 SS, but had the muffler shop do all the work. They really do have all the necessary equipment to hang the pipes and mufflers (I put in Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos) straight. They said it really easy and fit real good and looks great. They charged me approx $100.00 for the work.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS
ACES #2780

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put one on my 70ss and really had no problems. This is the first restoration that I've attempted so I' no expert. I think the intent is that the 'H' pipe piece will have to be cut to fit depending on the mufflers, collectors. etc. The pipes cut with a reciprocating saw with no problem. I used a cheapy welder to weld all connections back to the mufflers and clamped form there. I had to bend the tabs on the back hangers to get them to work. but everything fits fine. Dry fit everything first then tack weld and remove for final welding. Im glad I didn't weld in the mufflers since they are way too loud. Once Im happy I'll weld up everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just put the kit, #17119, on my 71 Chevelle. It was an easy installation and the kit had all hardware needed. Later on down the road I'll it it welded up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took another look at my exhaust and realized its not the 'H' pipe I cut it was the two pieces between the h pipe and the headers. Also the tailpipes will have to be cut.I started with the mufflers in the hangers and worked forward to the headers. Then wnet backwards for the tailpipes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.