Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a 2-1/2" Flowmaster exhaust for my '66 big block. Does anyone have any experience with there pipes (I've read plenty about the mufflers). How do they fit? Do they have adjustments for different headers? How do they exit?

D

·
0 Posts
Very good kit! We installed the American Thunder 2 1/2" kit on my '70 Chevelle. Great fit. We had to cut approx. 10" off the pipes to allow for the headers, so I would say there is room for adjustment for different length headers. There is also a crossover pipe already welded in place. The kit also contains both straight out pipes and turn downs. You will want to have the kit welded as recommended in the directions. Also, We added a set of bolt up flange (not the right term, and misspelled - sorry) behind the mufflers. This allows the whole exhaust to be unbolted and removed from the car. I have not been able to run the setup on the street yet (other problems!!!), and I can't wait! I got my kit w/ a pair of 3 chamber mufflers for $280 from Summit. A buddy of mine has a Torque Tech Kit (more Money$$$) and the Flowmaster kit is as good if not better quality, and better fit. Just my opinion. Good luck! David

[This message has been edited by David (edited 11-11-98).]

·
Registered
300 Posts
I installed the 2.5" Flow Master kit with 3 chamber mufflers. It was fairly easy to install on my 69 Chevelle. I installed it myself. My only gripe is that they did not have turned down exhaust tips.

Terry

[This message has been edited by Terry (edited 11-11-98).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put one on my 70ss, it fits great. Like the others, I had to cut ~ 9" because of my headers. I'm using Walker Dynomax super turbo mufflers for a more quiet sound. I still need to get the whole thing welded togather, but even with the clamps it sounds good. Good product for a good price.

Brian

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,650 Posts
I put the Flowmaster 2 1/2" tailpipes, Dynomax Superturbos, and custom 2 1/2" exhaust pipes on my '69. The only problem I had was I had to fabricate some 1" extenders for the stock hangers in back of the mufflers to get the tailpipes to clear the frame at the back of the rear tires. If you get the entire kit, the hangers supplied probably allow for this. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten the entire kit from Summit. The quality of the tailpipes is excellent. I like the straight out tips which allow the installation of factory type '69 chrome tips.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ordered the kit for my 68 from Summit and it fit great. Sounds good and easy installation. I will not be having mine welded, once you burn the pipes the rust starts and it's also impossible to take apart if you ever need to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put the same kit on my 66 Big Block. Excellent fit & no problems what so ever. Had to do a little timming for the headers, to get a perfect alignment, but that's expected. It looks great & it definitely sounds great.
Ps. I went with the 3 chambers to keep it sorta legal...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.