Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used that "american thunder" exhaust system? I have one on it's way. Are there are any complications I might run into. I'm putting it on a '66 el camino with a big block. Is it an easy bolt up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guy's,

Are the series 30 mufflers that are provided with the American Thunder package too loud?
Might you be able to compare them with the series 40 mufflers, which I have had in the past, and I thought were too loud.

Argus

·
Registered
403 Posts
I used the 2 1/2 inch system on my BB elco. I am pleased with it but I am dissapointed with the boat sound of the muffers on take off.

I wish I could return the muffs and get a different style.
I used the 3 chamber deltas. Plenty loud but don't like the take-off sound. otherwise sound good.

------------------
Mr. D

72 454 El Camino turbo400
68 Camaro RS/SS 350 M4
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro M4
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4 Color: Pewter
1995 WWW LT-1 Caprice A4
An all GM site http://www.gmforums.com

[This message has been edited by Mr. D (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Sprout, I am using the Flowmaster 30 series mufflers on the 3in system on my 66. I am running a Dr Gas-X crossover (3.5 in, 3 out) and 3in tailpipes to the bumper. I think these sound really nice. Not to loud, not to quiet. Nice rumble at idle as well.

------------------
Tom Wood
Gold Member #66
502 Powered '66 SS

Some pictures of my '66 under construction;
My 66 Pictures

·
Registered
184 Posts
one question, for the XX series of the flowmaster, as the numbers increase, does that mean its louder, or does a lower number mean its louder? thanks

------------------
70 El Camino SS 396
3.73 with a 12 bolt

have pics taken, but just need to upload them somewhere.....cmon alan

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Im not positive, but I think the 40 series is louder then the 30 series? I think there is one louder then the 40 series, but its a one chamber race muffler. 50 series is a 3 chamber, and 70 series is suppose to be only slightly larger then stock (my friend has thse on his firebird, it is very quiet).

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
Everyone wants their car to look stock and haul ass, my car looks ass; hauls stock.

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
I used the American Thunder system on my 67 BBC and I'm very pleased with it. The 30 series mufflers aren't nearly as loud as I expected them to be. Aside from a bit of welding to the header collectors, it was a bolt in, so-to-speak. For my car, they have two sets of exhaust tips; the factory style exit location (down and out just behind the rear tire) and straight out the back. I elected to use the latter but left them short of the rear bumper and pointed them down.

I recorded a short .WAV in my garage.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I have this system on my 68, I also have the Hotchkiss braces that connect the lower and upper control arm mounts. The only difficulty I had was the mufflers barely fit between the bolts for the braces. I think they actually rub a bit, but I've had no problems.

chris

·
Registered
367 Posts
I put the kit on my 67 BB too, but with the Dynomax mufflers, coming straight out the back. I was on my back on the garage floor,
and hung the whole kit without any help. I got my bones into positions I didn't think were possible. If it didn't go together so well, I'd have ended up in traction.
After I was done I took it to a shop just to have a few tack welds put on. I like the sound of the Dyno's.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
Yous got a problem wit dat?
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction" - Still!
Parts left over = Less weight!
Gold #43

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the American Thunder with 30 series on my 67 Malibu. Its all 2 1/2. Prior to the switch I ran 40`s. I like the tone of the 30`s better when Im doing 70 on the highway. Kind of a hollow gutteral growl is my description. Nice idle tone and little cab resonance. Kit was a breeze and mandrel bends are where its at.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got if from UPS just now. Thanks for the help you guys. I'm going outside to put this stuff on!

now, if I could only order paint through the mail......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.