Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running the 50 series flowmaster muffler on my 67 Chevelle SS. I have a 396/375 block. I was wondering if anyone has the 40 series muffler and if it is that much louder than the 50 series??? I am looking for a more aggressive sound than what I have.

·
Premium Member
28,594 Posts
I believe there's more of a difference of how is the motor built vs. what *kind/type* muffler is used.Case in point,my 4 speed car has a built motor with 10.5 to 1 compression/LS6 cam and Flowmaster 50 series 3 chamber mufflers..car is LOUD,sounds like a "jake brake" when I let off the gas,and it has quite the intimidating sound.Now my auto/SS454 car has a stock cammed,8.5 to 1 big block in it with Flowmaster 40 series and it's very quiet,almost too quiet.So,I would guess if your motor is built,than it'll be fairly loud with 40 series on it.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you have an X pipe? It will have a dramatic effect on how your car sounds. I had the Series 50's on my 396 and found the setup to be too loud and harsh until I added the X pipe. Now it sounds like a V-12 Maserati. (Maybe that should be a V-16, but I've never heard one.) I have a hard time imagining how anyone could consider the 50s to be too quiet. You must have very understanding (or distant) neighbors.

------------------
Mike Ahlmann
'69 Elky SS-396
Sunnyvale, CA
There are no atheists at 150 MPH!

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is more info on the car. It has the 396/375 block. I have bored it .030 over. I have installed a High Performance Kit from Edelbrock that included Aluminum intake, cam, 750 carb,timing chain etc...I have also installed Hedman headers. MSD 6AL ignition,distributor and coil. My compression is 10.5 to 1. Hope this is enough info.

·
Premium Member
28,594 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tonyr:
mr 4 speed and Mike,

Do you run your pipes to the rear bumpers? Or, do you have it cut off at the mufflers with just tips?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All my car's exhaust exit at the stock location with the factory tips.
67BostonSS,you didn't say what cam you have from Edelbrock..is it the Performer package or Performer RPM package? I would guess it would be louder with the 40 series if you have the RPM package..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bottom Line: I have a STOCK 1974 Monte Carlo with headers and 40 series and it's louder than most cars I come in contact with. My friend has a 72 Nova SS, very worked 400C.I. in there right now and It's not as loud as my STOCKER! Go 40-series. VERY aggressive, powerful sound, it'll definitely help if you actually HAVE power behind them too!

[This message has been edited by Louman454 (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes 40 series are the loudest street mufflers they are 2 chamber. They only get louder when you get into the race mufflers. In my 68 with a 454 I have headers, pipes, 50 series and then turn downs and it is very loud.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I run 50 series on my 350. It's pretty well built, 10.5:1 compression solid cam with .525 lift and my exhaust is LOUD. My exhaust is cut off right after the mufflers. My friend has a bone stock 78 Trans Am, he just had 40's put on and you can barley hear it running.

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tonyr i have 2 1/2 inch pipe it is turned to the ground right before the rear axle so there are no tale pipes. Oh also i forgot to say that I have an H pipe. That might make it a little louder. no sorry i havent taken any pictures of it yet. I will try to get some soon.

[This message has been edited by BadBowtie03 (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 70 has a 11:1 396 Comp Xcam and 2/12 ex with 40's turned down before the axle.
Let me tell you, it's real loud. I'm surprised I haven't been ticketed yet.
I am going to finish the pipes on out the back to tone it down a bit more.

RandyB.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I run 1-chambers on my daily driver 355 hyd. roller. I have 1 3/4" Hooker Super Comp. headers flowing to 3" exhaust dumping into the aforementioned 1-chambers. They dump just in front of the rear axle. No x or h-pipe.
It's wicked loud and lopey with the 108 lobe separation I have on the cam. I get mistaken ALL the time for big time big block stuff. BUT, be prepared. BECAUSE it is loud...means you may have to back up all that noise someday. So be sure to be packin some serious grunt out on the street.
If you want loud....I have the recipe. You hungry?

------------------
Justin Wray

70 Fathom Blue Malibu...
Boulevard Bruiser, Heavy Hitter, Pavement Pounder, Street/Strip and Weekend Warrior.....

Bottom Line?.....
DAILY DRIVER!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.