Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Doing some research on an exhaust system for my 66. I want to replace the 2"with a 2 1/2" system. I found that the American Thunder sys. does not exit the car in the correct place behind the rear wheel, but under the rear bumper. Supposedly the Magna Flow does exit the car in the correct spot. I have no experience with either system so any imput will be apperciated. I was kinda headed all along on the Flow Master sys., but if it is not going to exit the car correct, it has put a kink into my thinking.

Tnx. in Advance.
Frank

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
why not just find a good muffler shop and run whatever muffler you choose? With those kits you're also going to have to weld up the seams or pay somebody.The places around my town are a rip off and wanted $450 for dual 2", plus I was providing the mufflers. Called around and found a place that did excellent work and only paid $200. I had to drive to the next town but it was worth it. I plan on taking my other cars to this guy since he did such a nice job and is cheap.

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
From my experience, both Flowmaster and Magnaflow websites have shown tailpipes that exit behind the rear wheels instead of at the rear bumper but neither of them actually make and sell such tailpipes any longer.

I plan to cut my tailpipes off and add a bent piece at the appropriate location to create my own exit-behind-the-rear-wheels tailpipes.

The only down side to having a system bent up and installed at a local shop is that most do not do mandrel bending. The typical pipe bending machine will noticeably close down the diameter of the pipe, especially on tight bends like those required where the tails go over the axle.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
From my experience, both Flowmaster and Magnaflow websites have shown tailpipes that exit behind the rear wheels instead of at the rear bumper but neither of them actually make and sell such tailpipes any longer.

I plan to cut my tailpipes off and add a bent piece at the appropriate location to create my own exit-behind-the-rear-wheels tailpipes.

The only down side to having a system bent up and installed at a local shop is that most do not do mandrel bending. The typical pipe bending machine will noticeably close down the diameter of the pipe, especially on tight bends like those required where the tails go over the axle.

Some shops do have a nice mandrel pipe bender but not many. If not then I'm sure they have mandrel bent pieces already that they purchased from a supplier.THe exhaust on my elky is 2 1/4" and when it bends over the axle it probably goes to more like 1 1/2". I can't complain since I had a muffler shop put on my dual exhaust back in 72'. The borlas that I have on still sound great when I get on it after all these yrs. I got em from some dodge at the junk yard for like 5 bucks back in the day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your right Most shops are not going to have a madrel bend machine. I think there is one I know of in the state of Colorado. Still a good pipe bender (like my guy) can get a great sound for a very good price.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for confirming what I have been thinking. I do have access to a good shop that I can install and weld up the pipes. Like most of you I do not have a good custom exhaust shop around. So I was figuring on doing it myself, if I can find the right tail pipes. Funny thing is it seems like there are correct tail pipes for the 3" but not the 2 1/2? Go figure. I have a few guys checking around to see if I can get something local. Thanks for the good info.

Frank

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Fabio, what shop have you used locally?
place was in riverside I will see if my dad still has the number somewhere if you still want it. Little hole in the wall style on the corner but they do good work. The exhaust hangers they use are really nice stuff.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pizzi,

What didn't you like about the Magna Flows? Did you do and entire exhaust or just the mufflers? The Flow Master system is going to be about 400 in aluminized, the Magna is 473 for stainless. Kinda no brainer as far as pipes go. I do want the series 50 flow masters though.

Frank

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the magnaflow full stainless with x pipe system on my 69 velle and I love it. In answer to the side rear exits it does come with those pipes in the kit but I chose the rear exits with my ss tips. I also think the full stainless looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
mufflers polished pipes still have nice look to them no discoloring at all. If you need info on purchase I found cheap place on web ive bought few sets from. Feel free to pm or email me for info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts