Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys who is interested in a homemade flow control valve for your cowl hool that works, cheap?
Here is the parts list:
1. From GM, a windshield washer hose one-way check valve---25523494. About $4-6.
2. From local parts store, two 1/4in vacuum tees. From O'Riellys I bought a box of 2 Vacutite brand---47338, about $2. (any 1/4in tee will do).
3. 1ft of 3/16 or 1/4in vacuum tubing. Had some in the work bench.
4. A short piece of 1/4in copper tubbing, inch and 1/2 or so.
The GM washer valve is a one-way valve to keep washer fluid from running back into the washer bottle and keeps the washer pump primed.
Now, cut 2 pieces of vacuum hose (about 1 or 1 1/2in) and push onto each end of washer valve. Push a tee into each piece of hose. At this point here's what you have: tee-hose-valve-hose-tee. And now here is where we make the flow valve work. Cut 2 pieces of hose, about 2in, and push onto the middle of each tee, and install the piece of 1/4 copper tubbing between these 2 pieces of hose. What you have done is made a bypass around the valve. Now get out your trusty wire cutters and crimp the middle of the copper tubbing to make a restriction in the tubbing. Go put this in your vacuum hose where the valve goes, and by trial and error, test it by crimping the tubbing until you get the door closing just the way you want it to. If it closes fast and opens slow, you have the valve in backwards. Turn it around. Yes, this looks like jerry rigging, but I'm here to tell you it works like a champ! My door snaps open and closes slowly. What I did, was hide it under the air cleaner and run a long single piece of hose from the vacuum pod to the homemade valve where it can't be seen. It's a make-do until someone starts reproducing another valve.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 04-04-99).]

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well guys, I have put a few miles on this homemade valve now, and so far, so good.

------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.