1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
While I can certainly understand trying to move on at 72 years old, but selling in these times?? I'll be watching.

·
Registered
14,662 Posts
when you hear the news, it sounds like we're living in the great depression with the world shut down. But houses are selling for asking or higher prices. you can hardly get a deal on a full sized truck, tacoma or a 4 runner, The camper, RV dealers can't keep any inventory because they sell so many. Guns and ammo is flying off the shelves. So why not liquidate when the world is buying everything?
I dont get it personally, But then again we just put a offer on a bigger house ourselves. jim

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I;m sure by insurance here that over there that place probably cost a million a year just for insurance.

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
315 Posts
I;m sure by insurance here that over there that place probably cost a million a year just for insurance.
That's probably high....assuming 200 nice quality muscle cars at anywhere from $250 to $500 per year for Collector Car Ins. that would be around $100,000 per year tops....you're off by a zero I think! :) $50,000 per year for insurance on all those cars is a lot to pay regardless though!

I can relate to this guy, as I also grew up in Florida, and you could drive at age 14 (with an adult driver ride along), so driving & collecting can start early for sure! My first car was a '55 Chevy and my parents bought it for me when I was younger than 14 & I worked on it so I could drive it when I turned 14. The other option was me building a hydroplane like the other guys in my shop class & run it on the Bay, something my folks did not want me to do! So I weasled a car out of them! LOL!

It's sad to see a place like this close though....I'd love to see it! My guess is many of the cars will bring top dollar, as is usually the case with cars from a collection.

·
Premium Member
17,530 Posts
Damn...

I was literally dreaming of this place last week... We were thinking of either Hawaii or Florida once things start opening. The kids like Disney but the wife likes scenery... I think it’s about a2+Hour drive from DW...

I even went so far as to map it out on Google maps...

guess I shouldn’t put these things off anymore...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That's probably high....assuming 200 nice quality muscle cars at anywhere from $250 to $500 per year for Collector Car Ins. that would be around $100,000 per year tops....you're off by a zero I think! :) $50,000 per year for insurance on all those cars is a lot to pay regardless though!

I can relate to this guy, as I also grew up in Florida, and you could drive at age 14 (with an adult driver ride along), so driving & collecting can start early for sure! My first car was a '55 Chevy and my parents bought it for me when I was younger than 14 & I worked on it so I could drive it when I turned 14. The other option was me building a hydroplane like the other guys in my shop class & run it on the Bay, something my folks did not want me to do! So I weasled a car out of them! LOL!

It's sad to see a place like this close though....I'd love to see it! My guess is many of the cars will bring top dollar, as is usually the case with cars from a collection.
The building also has insurance.Florida has all the hurricanes so I'm sure insurance is high.

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
315 Posts
The building also has insurance.Florida has all the hurricanes so I'm sure insurance is high.
True, but I was just talking about the cars. Being a Floridian I can tell you we don’t generally worry about Hurricanes! It’s part of living in Florida just like the alligators, snakes & lizards! 🙃

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
My folks live only a few miles from there. I went there about 6-7 years ago and spent a few hours inside.
These cars are the cream of the muscle car crop. Mostly rare factory originals with a few specialty cars thrown in.
These will fetch a pretty dollar at auction. I think my dad told me the museum is closing on the 22nd. Then Mecum will come in and auction them off.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
True, but I was just talking about the cars. Being a Floridian I can tell you we don’t generally worry about Hurricanes! It’s part of living in Florida just like the alligators, snakes & lizards! 🙃
Insure the building,the workers,and the people that come in to visit cost some money.

·
Premium Member
16,373 Posts
While I can certainly understand trying to move on at 72 years old, but selling in these times?? I'll be watching.
While its a loose correlation, the stock market level and collector car values are somewhat linked. Therefore, pandemic or not, they ought get decent bids.

It would be a nice time to hit the Powerball! Then go shopping!!
My dream, which heaven peed on as usual, was to buy a bunch of tickets while I was in Evanston WY, and then buy some land there if I won. Maybe even a trona mine.

And defintely an El Camino. Nothing too fancy, just durable.

Oh well, the Elky I can swing anyhow......

·
Vendor
298 Posts
I know a thing or two about insurance cost, because I have 215 vehicles in my collection.

The more vehicles you have in a collection, the lower the rate-per-vehicle you can negotiate, because think about it... One man can only drive one car at a time. The rest of the time, the car is parked, in a secure, fire-sprinklered and hurricane-proof building. Extremely low-risk, compared to insuring an enthusiast with a single collectible who likes to take sunny-day cruises on the weekends.

So $250-$500 per-car estimate is ludicrously high. More like $50-$60 per-car, or $10K - $12K per-year.

The building is probably $15K - $20K per-year.

It's not peanuts when you're faced paying it without any reasonable way to offset with revenue (due to COVID). But it's no million dollars, or hundred-thousand dollars, per-year.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I know a thing or two about insurance cost, because I have 215 vehicles in my collection.

The more vehicles you have in a collection, the lower the rate-per-vehicle you can negotiate, because think about it... One man can only drive one car at a time. The rest of the time, the car is parked, in a secure, fire-sprinklered and hurricane-proof building. Extremely low-risk, compared to insuring an enthusiast with a single collectible who likes to take sunny-day cruises on the weekends.

So $250-$500 per-car estimate is ludicrously high. More like $50-$60 per-car, or $10K - $12K per-year.

The building is probably $15K - $20K per-year.

It's not peanuts when you're faced paying it without any reasonable way to offset with revenue (due to COVID). But it's no million dollars, or hundred-thousand dollars, per-year.
That seems low for a building that size and allows the public to come inside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts