Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS | 454 & TH400
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For everything to go from and auto to a manual its will be

$4,986.00 shipped. OMG! :angry: I called before and they said something like $2,700.00 so figured that was how I was going to go......

He did say the price went up today....WTF

Guess not... T56 it is......:sad:

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
You can score a T56 w pedals, throwout, shifter, driveshaft, scattershield, pinion, clutch, flywheel etc for much less than that? New? Add in the modifications you will have to make as well.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have to research a whole new dog and pony show now. I am going with a bone stock 454 MAAAAYBE a new cam next year. So any kit that is got good reviews I am sold for... if it goes to crazy I will get a M22 or M21 and get new rear gears and call it a day.

crazy prices!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 4.11's out back so not very friendly for the happy medium of fun/highway.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
We'll, a COMPLETE auto to manual change-over is big $$$. Manual to another manual is MUCH cheaper - closer to that 2700.00 #.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow! I will be curious to see what kind of price quote I get. I emailed them yesterday about a RS600 and asked what they would give me on a trade in for one of their TKO500's I had bought from them. I know they prob won't offer much. Might make you a deal on a low mile TKO500 if your intersted. I don't think it even has 700 miles on it.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
We'll, a COMPLETE auto to manual change-over is big $$$. Manual to another manual is MUCH cheaper - closer to that 2700.00 #.
Not particularly. As I stated I did the swap for under $1,000. If you are buying all brand new parts of course it's going to cost more though.

As to the original topic. If you are running a completely stock 454 ,depending on which one, I would just throw a Muncie in there and have at it. Which type of 454 are you going to run?

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Yeah I have to research a whole new dog and pony show now. I am going with a bone stock 454 MAAAAYBE a new cam next year. So any kit that is got good reviews I am sold for... if it goes to crazy I will get a M22 or M21 and get new rear gears and call it a day.

crazy prices!
As long as you're checking, take a look at the M22W from Jody's Transmissions.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts

$4,986.00 shipped. OMG! :angry: I called before and they said something like $2,700.00 so figured that was how I was going to go......

What was the breakdown of the indivudual parts? I can't imagine a price increase accounting for it going from $2700 > $4986. :confused:

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
A LT1 T56 should be able to handle a stock 454 with no problem.

Dont see the need for a 1000hp godzilla sized custom trans, really.

Carolina clutch can hook you up with a real fair deal on a clutch/fw setup for about $850 +-

T56 trans varies depending on where you get one from.

Pedals arent much

Slave cyl is about 125 bracket about 65-75

Camaro yoke

Crossmember move it back 3 in cant remember if the mount tab gets rewelded or not.

Not too difficlut to do.

Bought my clutch/fw/trans for 2k, probably another few hun in driveshaft mods slave etc.

Best upgrade youll ever do to the car guaranteed, with a 4.10 and the BB youll love the way it pulls 6th gear just loafing along at low rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts

I got a qoute for $3200 shipped in December and it was the same when I ordered mine Monday. Maybe you're getting a lot more stuff than I am since I am going from an M20? I ordered the kit with the trans, crossmember, and driveshaft. Sorry to hear the price is soooo much. But banging is wayyyy more fun than the auto :D

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Was looking @ Keislers site on Ebay they have a 400 series kit for about 1800.00 plus shiping.It says in the add ok for small blocks and mild big blocks,no drag raceing. Check it out.5 grand is a wee bit more than i would want to pay...

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow alot of reply's. Yeah I guess its just frustrating when you have your HUGE paper and get the wife on board and BAM new wrench but that's how it goes! Basically the goal is........ HIGHWAY/STREET and no dragging but I want to be able to "enjoy" the car when a good song comes on. But more importantly the ability to drive the car!

I will check out the stuff you guys are mentioning.

They told me I had no choice but to go with the RS6 due to my rear end.

And I am coming from an auto.... so.... more in cost... I called classicchevy5spd he said 2,900 for the WHOLE kit and free shipping in march.... what are the issues with this trans?

·
Registered
287 Posts
As long as you're checking, take a look at the M22W from Jody's Transmissions.
Excellent idea!! And while you've got Jody on the phone, ask about the new & advanced "SuperStrength" revision of the M22W due on market about now, scheduled for March-April. :hurray:

Whatever you do, avoid the 'slow-poke' first gear of a stock M21/M22. :yes:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts