Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been redoing my interior this summer which includes a bucket seat and console swap in the '72. I just put in the floor shifter and rigged up the cable. It moves through the detents well except for Park. To get in and out I need to pull the column lever towards me. Actually, I assume it is pretty worn out and when these cars were new you had to pull it through all the gears. What is the best way to remove the lever and be able to shift on the floor?

Dan
'72

·
Registered
834 Posts
Do you still have the linkage hooked up to the column shifter??? I would personally disconnect it, it makes shifting with the floor shifter a lot easier!

Also, to remove the column lever, just pop out the pin and pull it out.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Salad and vegetables are what food eat!"
My Page

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shifting is fine with the linkage. I need to keep it connected anyway because it will control my back-up lights, neutral safety switch and the theft deterent steering lock. I was about to simply pop out the pin but am apprehensious about what position this will leave the lever.

Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
i swapped to a floor shift a while back. As far as the neutral safety and backup lights are, i routed the wires to the floor shift switches. With the linkage off the column shift, the lever will rest in the 1 position, all the way down. Mine doesn't have the theft deterant system, so i couldn't help you on it.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
If you want to continue to use the backdrive linkage to the column, you can adjust it to rotate the column a little more. Where the linkage attatches to the steering column arm under the hood, the actual piece on the linkage rod that the pin goes through can be moved. Just loosen the bolt that holds it tight, put your shifter in park, rotate the column all the way so the column is locked, then tighten the bolt.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.