Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After removing the carpet in my son's 67 chevelle we found that the floor was not quite as we expected. The right front floor pan has a area about 16" by 16" that has no holes but is real rusty and pretty soft. Any tips in replacing it? I have a new floor pan here and a mig welder and a plasma cutter,so I feel I have the tools. Should I just cut out enough to get to good solid metal or go further? the replacement floor pan is huge. Any help would be nice. Any other tips would be appreciated!! Thanks, Slime

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you only need to patch that one small part, only patch that one small part. Just mig in a patch after you cut out the 16"x16" section

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SLIME
I think just the opposite of elcamino You have the plasma you have the mig you have the floor pan It is a job but final results are worth it. I am not showing my car so I lap welded my floor pans. I left about a 1" overlap. I also used por15 on the entire floor pan and then under coated everything. Check out the archives their is a great post with pictures on this subject
Jeff Palazzolo
66 El Camino
St Louis Mo

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have to agree to cut out and replace as large a panel as you can, There have been many articles writen on floor pan replacement. You have the tool Mig welder you cut out the new panel to the aprox. size of the good solid floor area. lay it on the old floor and spray paint it ( white /yellow) around the edges.
you now have a pattern to use your plasma torch on and leave 3/4 to 1 in lip unless you have a show car then you butt weld the seam.
get a cloth bag of steel shot or as I did, fill a sack with some old snow chains. to help hold the pannel down as you tack weld it in place. Just do it it's FUN
Good Luck

Wayne KLine
ACES TC

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I would go only as far as needed to get to solid metal. If you go for a really big patch, then you may run into some of the reinforcements under the floor pan, which will complicate matters. Also, the larger the patch, the more welding you have to do which increases the amount of warpage. Personally, I like to use a saber saw for sheet metal as it can be controlled very closely and will allow butt welds fits that will turn out pretty nicely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.