Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fly to Sydney Australia. I have an option of 2 different airlines, United or Quantas. They are both on 747-400's. Is one better than the other? I have heard Quantas really takes care of you but I have no experience here.
Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well, I know the company I work for (Boeing) will only use Quantas when going to Australia. One reason is because they only buy our planes, and another is most of their fleet is brand new airplanes. Almost every month I'll see something in our news briefs of Quantas buying or receiving a new plane. You wont be finding any new planes on United. As far as customer services I have heard that international airlines take much better care of their customers than domestic airlines.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I flew United to Sydney just before Christmas. I was in the upper deck (business class) of a 747, and it was a very comfortable trip. I flew United to Seoul a couple of weeks ago in business class on a 777 and got to go first class on my return. That was very nice to have a seat that could be fully reclined into a bed. The only other "active" airline I've flown internationally with is Lufthansa on a flight to Munich. The service was phenomenal, and I'd use them again if given the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I've heard nothing but great things about Quantas. If you can afford the upgrade to first class, go for it. Probably make that extra long journey that much better. Daren

·
Registered
267 Posts
Qantas. flown with them 4 times. their planes and service are excellent

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Qantas have a very nice buisness class (beds allmost) and the flight attendents are way better looking, but I'm a little biased of course. If your flying economy, check in real early and get a exit door or bulk head seat if you can, you can stretch out and after 6 hours from NY to LA and 15 hours LA to SYD you'll appreciate it. PM me if you want my cell # if you get lost here and need directions.
Oh yeah, Like Rain Man said "Qantas has never crashed" 100% true ! and John Travolta owns and flys one of there old 707s (just a bit of trivia)
Dave

·
Registered
761 Posts
I flew to Australia last summer and its a long flight buddy, go with quantas they are awesome! I flew AA i think and it was okay but when i was in Australia i flew strictly quantas and jet star. Jet star sucked.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't use Oceanic & don't fly over any islands. :D

LK
thats what my wife said. I wouldn't have known what you were talking about if she had already said it. :)

Thanks guys. Not looking forward to the flight.

·
Registered
631 Posts
QANTAS all the way. My uncle used to be a big cheese at the Catapillar plant down there and that's all we ever flew. That was some time ago but even back then they were very customer friendly. It's a great place to visit, the people are really nice too.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I envy you guys that can sit on a plane for 15+ hours. I fly a lot (in the US). Never flown on a flight longer than 6 1/2 hours (Boston to SFO), but I know I can't take anything longer than that. I'd go Postal. Even sitting in First Class, I still can barely take six hours. My legs get cramped up and I get really antsy. Coach class nearly sends me over the edge after six hours.

How do you guys sit there for 10,12,14,15+ hours? What do you do?

Side topic, so I'll understand if no one wants to answer.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
How do you guys sit there for 10,12,14,15+ hours? What do you do?
They have plenty of movies to watch if you can't sleep ? xanax helps.
If you're on your own it's still pretty boring.
I flew american from NY to LA once, 6 hours. Half way into the flight everyone on board started to sweat, get itchy and complain about headaches, don't know why but it was horrible ! someone said "dirty CO2 scrubbers" ????
Dave

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just getting back from Turkey last week, it was a 24 hour day of traveling counting time between flights. 11 hours on the long leg of the trip. Makes for a long day or was that nite?

Take a couple good books to read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.