Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 72 olds has this annoying problem with flickering lights. All the lights in the car flicker at low idle. If I put the light switch to parking than this sound that I will describe lessens. All lights on than the sound is back. The sound is a clicking sound under my dash. I replaced the alt. and voltage regulator thinking that was the problem with delco. No solution. Courtesy lights will also flicker if car is on. High idle than the lights will stop flickering. This is over 1000rpm. I tried adjusting the regulator to 13-15 volts but the closer to 13 and over I get the more they flicker. I appreciate your help even though I have a olds.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've had similar problems in the past with my Chevelles. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. Check the grounds to include: engine to chasis, battery to engine, chasis to frame and all other grounds that you can find. Make sure the tension on the alternator is correct.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Lost, Had same problem on my 70 Olds, tried everything you could think of to no avail. Someone on TC said to get a Wells VR 715 regulator from Auto Zone, and the flickering was history. Its electronic instead of point activated and a direct bolt on, takes all of three minutes. Cap finish is different if your a resto freak, but you can fix that with a little work. Cost: about 10 bucks.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I put a "one wire" alternator on my Olds and it solved the flickering lights problem. It was an inexpensive and very quick fix. With this type you don't use the external regulator or the factory wiring to the alternator. Just hook one 10 gauge wire directly to the positive battery post. Thats it!

[This message has been edited by Wooderson (edited 04-25-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.