Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 71SS is all stock! No mods to the electrical system at all. The problem I'm having is all the lights flicker when the car is running!! It flickers so fast it is almost hard to see it flickering, but all the lights do it, head lights, tail lights, dome light, etc. Checked the alternator, battery, and voltage regulator, all seem to be good. Any suggestions or a direction to look into would be great! Thanks!! Oh one other thing, it doesn't matter whether the car is idling or at speed, the flickering is constant.

------------------
Doug
1971 Chevelle SS454/LS5/M22
My 71SS

[This message has been edited by dugammo (edited 08-24-2000).]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Check the body ground from the battery, and also the ground to the block. Make sure they are free and clear of rust/corrosion.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
I know exactly where I'm at! I've been lost here before!
1970 Chevelle Malibu

[This message has been edited by Riffers70 (edited 08-24-2000).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy cow your quick!! Thanks, I will give it a check!

------------------
Doug
1971 Chevelle SS454/LS5/M22
My 71SS

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you still have the old style mechanical voltage regulator "on line", what you're seeing is the "cycling" of the mechanical contacts. Had the problem for years. If you hook a good voltmeter across the battery terminals with the engine running, you can actually see the fluctuation. Conversion to either an integral alternator/regulator or an electronic voltage regulator will cure your "light show".

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
MalibuJerry is right on!

"Disco" lighting is always a tell-tale sign of the voltage regulator going out.

You should still be able to by the stock style mechanical one for simplicity. Go out and buy one and that should cure your problems. If not, let us know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts