Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a funeral today in 66 Chevelle. When we got there and turned off ignition there was a clicking noise being in a hurry I turned on ignition and tuned off again clicking quit. Came back started car clicking resumed had time to do a little investigating, turned on turn signal flasher and that was the clicking noise, turned off signal clicking continued, checked signal lights they were not on. Stoped by auto parts and picked up new flasher. ( boy they do not give them away $13.25 for a no name flasher). Got home looked at the fuse panel no flasher and by this time it had quit all together. So where is the flasher? My car is all original wiring.

·
Premium Member
5,978 Posts
Top of the column support nearer the dash. Clipped in or it might be hanging off either side of the column if it's out of the clip (circled in red). A brown and a purple wire leads to the flasher connector plug.

I hope that takes care of the issue. Should be no power to the flasher/ turn signals with the key off and the flasher should not click until the circuit is closed in the directional switch.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The Automobile Assembly Manual (AIM) shows the flasher but leaves you hanging. It does not tell you where that drawing is. My son is home and he is leaving in the morning so visiting comes first. I will try to get it installed tomorrow

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I put in a new flasher I thought about what was happening and it did not point to flasher. I turned on ignition switch and I had 4 way emergency flashers! I turned on right turn and everything worked correctly as well as left turn except the rate of flash was different. That could be to different bulbs on one side. But I got it back to flashing on all four with the turn signal lever in the "neutral" position. I can wiggle the switch and all lights quit flashing. So I think it is the turn signal switch. Gonna get the part number from AIM catalogue and see if I can find a NOS one. Just gonna take a while to get all the problems to work their way to the top. This is our only car, we are GMC truck people.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Does your car have the optional 4 way flashers?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where would the switch be? I do not believe it has them. I am going to remove the steering wheel tonight and inspect the turn signal switch. I think the problem will be visible. I believe the upper part of the switch that moves with the turn signal lever is not staying in alignment with the bottom part and there for odd light combinations are coming on.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
the 4 way hazard switch is a clear red knob that lights up when on. its on the bottom of the dash above the parking brake pedal.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the turn signal switch from my car, quite a job. When checking for continuity when activating the switch left and right wires show continuity at the same time, so the problem is at the switch. After doing a little research there appears to be two possible switches that were installed in 66 Chevelles according to Summit Racing. Am I understanding correctly the difference is the lower part of the switch, either it is metal or plastic. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
5,978 Posts
There are 2 different switches for the 64-66 Chevelle with non tilt column. If you look on the switch there will be the letters "BPC" or "Guide" stamp or molded into the plastic.

AC delco # D6203 is Guide Plastic base

AC delco # D6200 is BPC GM # 910821 Metal base with bearing

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Received my NOS Guide plastic turn signal switch and it was exactly as the person on E bay described it. The actions feel high quality. I started putting everything back together. Guiding the 7 wires through the mast and then getting them under the wire cover and not getting pinched is quite a job. But I have a problem. Before I disassembled it I had perfect spacing between the housing the turn signal arm fits through and the shift lever housing. The shift lever housing fit real tight and did not slide up and down. It now is loose slides up and down and turns like it would if it had a shifter lever like a 3 speed. I am sure these are all the original parts as there are very few 66 Chevelles with Aztec Bronze interiors. I must be assembling it wrong. Does anyone know where I am making a mistake or how it goes together properly? My car has the shifter on the floor. I have the AIM in front of me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the switch, the feel from the turn signal switch feels so smooth just what you would expect from a NOS switch. If you can find original parts they are always superior to reproduction parts and I do not have 4-way flashers anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts