Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Timing is either 180 off or advanced too far. Make sure it's not 180 off, then back it off a couple of degrees. If it's a Holley you could of blown the power valve.

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
If you changed the plugs, re check your firing order. Real easy mistake to make.

[This message has been edited by bcice (edited 12-19-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
Two things are the main culprits of the symptom you are describing ! Lean carb or ,late timing! If it was cold (most hot rodders usually remove the choke) or, had a lazy accelerator pump ,that would make it lean! If you were playing with the timing curve, I would bet you got it LATE!(point gap is important, set at .018 if applicable) An improper firing order will also make some cylinders fire late! In any case ,hope this helped! johnny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it wuz a holley, you got the power valve. The fireball thingy has happen to me b4. I assume that it was a rather large ball of flame, as i caught your permanent tupee.
(this is a joke...the tupee thingy I mean) Anyway, every time it happend to me it was late timing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You didn't have the hot dogs close enough together if the flames got through to your hair!

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 467BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check the float level needle/seat. This along with timing being off can cause it to load up and make big fire. Get that Edlebrock 750 with elec. choke and be done with it. You won't HAVE to tune it all the time. I've had 2 Edlebrock's and loved them. Don't look as mean as a big ass Holley though...

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

[This message has been edited by hoffman7476 (edited 12-20-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.