Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan does not turn on at all. Does anyone have experience troubleshooting the switch and resistor? What should I check first?

·
Registered
155 Posts
With or without A/C and the year of the car would help but I will assume that by your name, it's a 68. I'm pretty sure, like most things, the heater controls are the same as for my 69. I also assume no A/C.

First, with the fan switch on, check to see if there is 12v to the fan. The fan is mounted under the hood, not in the car. It is inside the passenger side fender against the firewall. It should be no problem to pull the single wire off the connector to see if there is 12v to it. If there isn't, you have a wiring problem. If there is, you have a motor problem.

If it is a motor problem, with the wire removed, measure the resistance between the motor power lug on the motor and a good ground. It should be just a few ohms. If it is open, then you have a broken wire in the motor. (Time for a new motor.) If it is dead zero ohms, you have a shorted motor. (Same option.)

If it registers a few ohms, then you have to remove the interior cover and try to rotate the motor by hand. (Fan power off!) It may be frozen. If so, Liquid Wrench or some other lubricant may free it up.

Hope this helps.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RDJunc (edited 02-15-2000).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob,

There is power to the fan so it looks like its time for a blower motor. I does not look like too big of a job as long as I can get to all the bolts without pulling the inner fender.

Gerald

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
gerald
Don't be afraid to loosen the inner fender. You may need to soak the bolts in a rust penetrant, but it is sooooo much easier to get at the blower mount bolts with the inner pulled out of the way. You may only have to loosen the rear bolts.
rick

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have plastic inner fenders, you just have to remove the rear and top bolts and press the inner fender away. Not a major problem at all. I don't know what it would be like if they are steel.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.