Team Chevelle banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

***Place Holder for site update****

Despite being in production for just 13 years – less time than the Cadillac CTS nameplate – the Chevrolet Chevelle has been heralded as one of the best, most accomplished vehicles ever to don the bowtie.

While late-model Chevelle’s are best left forgotten (like most vehicles produced in the mid-seventies), models like the 1969 Chevelle SS 396 are bound to get any red-blooded enthusiast weak at the knees.

Due to its place in the canon of GM, much of the history of the Chevelle is an open book. However, here are five lesser-known facts you may not know about Chevrolets storied muscle car. Thanks to Hagerty, we’ve learned the following:

1. The Chevelle was built at ten different plants in two countries over the course of its lifespan: Arlington, Texas; Atlanta, Ga; Baltimore, Md; Flint, Mich; Framingham, Mass; Fremont, Calif; Van Nuys, Calif; Kansas City, Mo.; Oshawa, On, Canada; and Sainte-Thérèse, PQ, Canada.

2. It shared a platform with the El Camino and Monte Carlo: Though it was available in convertible, two-door, four-door, and station wagon-wagon body styles, the multi-variant Chevelle also share it’s A-body platform with the El Camino, and the 1970-’72 Monte Carlo (though it was coded as a G-body in the latter).

3. There was a Canada-only version called the Acadian Beaumont. The car rolled out of the two Canadian plants and it wore a slightly different grill and trim. As a result, its even rarer than many versions of the Chevelle.

4. It was created as an intended successor to the widely popular Tri-Five (1955-57) and the designers saw it as a spiritual successor to the Bel Air 210. Why? It shared the same 110-inch wheelbase and, like the Bel Air, buyers could choose from a crazy number of body styles and variants.

5. Despite wearing one of the most famous nameplates of all time, Chevrolet has yet to revive the name. Though we’ve heard rumblings and rumors over the years, Chevrolet has vehemently denied claims that a new Chevelle is in the works.
Pretend your Alan Batey, senior vice president, Global Chevrolet, for a sec: Do you see room in the lineup for a new Chevelle? What segment/ hole would it fill?
We’re curious– What would a modern Chevelle look like to you?

Read more: Chevrolet Chevelle: Five Little Known Facts | GM Authority

·
Registered
4 Posts
been waiting 30 years for a brand new chevelle of today but the look of yesterday. DODGE GOT IT RIGHT WITH THE CHALLENGER !!! NOT THE CAMARO NOT THE MUSTANG . if chevrolet built a chevelle i would be buying that and not a mopar. ive had 4 chevelles in my day driving a 66 now. GET YOUR ASSES IN GEAR CHEVY

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
They have been building them as Malibu's for years now. For some reason they dropped the Chevelle moniker. They already have two performance platforms with the Corvette and Camaro but I think a performance version of an actual Chevelle, not Chevelle/Malibu would be nice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If they did I think it would end up being a 4-door. So they would have something to directly compete against the charger.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I like the new Malibu. Good looking car but from what I read in Car & Driver its gutless even with the turbo four cylinder. No V-6 option.
Come on Chevrolet, let's get it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts