Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted before but I need to say this again to make sure folks considering the Fitech fuel command don't . I installed the fuel command center along with the Fitech mean street EFI system in my 67 Chevelle . I needed to download and install the correct software onto the mean street system system as it did not have the correct software on it when I purchased it but I was able to get sorted out after "multiple " tech service calls to a Fitech. Their tech support is overwhelmed with calls and is marginal at best.
Now to the fun part ,the fuel command center is a POS, it runs hot even with PWM turned down to the recommended 40% at idle. The one in my car spits lots of fuel into the vent hose and boils fuel once hot and causes a lean condition under full throttle.
I called Fitech and they tried to tell me to adjust AFR at WOT which is BS , system goes lean 18-20 AFR because of lack of fuel because the fuel command center is a junk design.
I want a refund but can't even get a call back from this Fitech , buyer be ware.
I ordered a Tanks Inc tank , sending unit and GPA-6 pump which I will install next week. I am going to run a return style fuel pressure regulator because I read the Fitech throttle body regulator and return can't handle the 400 liter per hour GPA-6. I will run the regulator at 45 PSI since the mean street system regulator and injectors run at 43.5 PSI.
The GPA-6 pump will run with a PWM signal and based on specs draws 14.8 amps at 50 PSI, I am debating wether to run directly off Fitech fuel pump feed wire or run a solid state relay and run 10 gauge wire to the in tank pump.
Does anyone on the forum have experience with the GPA-6 pump and if so did you feed it directly from Fitech Fuel pump feed without issue or did you run relay?

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
^^ yes I would always use a relay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes , standard relay and 10 gauge to feed pump is the way I will go, not going to mess with solid state relays or PWM as I think with in tank pump and return system through fuel pressure regulator fuel should be fine and not heat up to badly.
Thanks for input .
Everyone considering EFI don't make my mistake do it right the first time with EFI TANK and pump , stay away from FITECH FUEL COMMAND CENTER, don't waste your money.

Reactions: rel3rd

·
Registered
633 Posts
Every time I read one of these I keep my carburetor for another year. 😖

·
Registered
786 Posts
This right here!
My buddy has a 489 in his car--put some huge 355cc heads on it and a solid roller, kept telling me how I am building my engine wrong when I went with a carb and a solid flat tappet. I made more power at the wheel than he did(by a pretty good bit). I contribute some of his issues to EFI because it wouldn't lay a consistant number and kept going lean. His first run was his best power run and was around 13:1.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The command center is a piece of crap.

I put on my FiTech with a tanks inc tank. It runs 100% perfect. I didn't have to do any tuning at all. No horror stories, no drama. It just started up and ran with not a single issue. Been driving it everyday since.

I'm done with carbs. I held out for a while but the FiTech is really that good.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The command center is a piece of crap.

I put on my FiTech with a tanks inc tank. It runs 100% perfect. I didn't have to do any tuning at all. No horror stories, no drama. It just started up and ran with not a single issue. Been driving it everyday since.

I'm done with carbs. I held out for a while but the FiTech is really that good.
The only non-user install related FiTech horror story I'm aware of is the command center. Small issues that require some tuning to sort out could of course be interpreted as horror stories and dramas. This is the internet after all. Everything is blown out of proportion.

My external inline pump setup it trouble free. Many ways to skin a cat. 100% perfect out of the box is cool. I didn't get that version, but I have no complaints as it only took a few tenths more fuel here or there to make it work. My motor just likes fuel. Probably too many cheap bolt on parts. ;)

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
ditto

I got 35+ years with carbs and I'm done. I should have jumped into EFI years ago.
I still run my Holley carb for now but as soon as Holley releases it's 1,200 hp 8 injector Sniper I will be done with carburetors too! :thumbsup: --> Also, I don't want to have anything to do with Fitech because of their "POS" FCC and worse, their poor customer service. :mad: After all the bad reviews I've read about them, I don't understand how come they're still in business and why some guys still buy from them! :wacko:

Claude.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Also, I don't want to have anything to do with Fitech because of their "POS" FCC and worse, their poor customer service. :mad: After all the bad reviews I've read about them, I don't understand how come they're still in business and why some guys still buy from them! :wacko:
Could be because some guys realize 99.9% of the problems reported on the interweb with the FiTech EFI units are reading comprehension, user installation, and lack of tuning skill related. I know the product works installed correctly and tuned in the right hands would be my reason for buying another FiTech product.

In case you haven't noticed, the Sniper doesn't work out of the box for every engine either. Lean stumbles and so on and so forth. People are manually tuning them as well, and accepting it as normal procedure, because of the Holley name. Otherwise, there isn't more than a cigarette paper's worth of difference between the two performance wise, and FiTech stuff is easier to get.

FiTech could indeed go out of business, but I don't think it is because of the performance of what they sell, or millennial hot rodder reviews. It would be because they are underfunded and incapable of fully supporting all their product releases. When the money dries up, they'll be gone.

I hope FiTech sticks around, because once FiTech is out of the picture, nobody else will have any incentive to release affordable EFI products in the LS and Gen I - VI V8 multiport market. Oh yeah, and those other engines, like Ford, Chrysler, and such.

Reactions: 66 Bu

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Could be because some guys realize 99.9% of the problems reported on the interweb with the FiTech EFI units are reading comprehension, user installation, and lack of tuning skill related. I know the product works installed correctly and tuned in the right hands would be my reason for buying another FiTech product.

In case you haven't noticed, the Sniper doesn't work out of the box for every engine either. Lean stumbles and so on and so forth. People are manually tuning them as well, and accepting it as normal procedure, because of the Holley name. Otherwise, there isn't more than a cigarette paper's worth of difference between the two performance wise, and FiTech stuff is easier to get.

FiTech could indeed go out of business, but I don't think it is because of the performance of what they sell, or millennial hot rodder reviews. It would be because they are underfunded and incapable of fully supporting all their product releases. When the money dries up, they'll be gone.

I hope FiTech sticks around, because once FiTech is out of the picture, nobody else will have any incentive to release affordable EFI products in the LS and Gen I - VI V8 multiport market. Oh yeah, and those other engines, like Ford, Chrysler, and such.
I know that most of the bad reputation FiTech has is related to the FCC but the way they handle their customer service is enough to steer me away because if I have a problem with let's say the throttle body for example, and need assistance it's the same bunch of guys who I'll be stuck to deal with! :(
As for the Sniper, there might be some tuning to begin with but after that, it's supposed to be self-learning, the more you drive the better it tunes itself. One other thing is that I'm pretty sure that Holley will still be around if I ever need assistance… FiTech?…who knows??… :rolleyes:

Claude. :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Claude I understood your reasoning.

I'm just explaining why I a guy might buy another FiTech product.

I don't really need them support wise. It's disposable intake ware for me. If it quits working, and I can't figure it out in a couple of days, it'll go on the shelf and I'll replace it with something else. Fortunately most of what makes TBI in the FiTech and Sniper work are readily available off the shelf parts.

With that said, if I were in your shoes today, I would get a Sniper for TBI use. The Sniper was my original choice and sat in my Summit wish list for months. I got tired of waiting for it to be released. It hasn't been a mistake to go with FiTech, but my situation is probably a little different. I'm comfortably numb. ;)

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
It's too bad that FiTech earned itself a bad reputation because of both their FCC and customer service because I've never seen a negative comment on their throttle bodies. :noway: As for the Holley, like I said in one of my previous posts I'm waiting for them to release their 1,200HP rated 8 injector Sniper and when they do, I'll get one for sure.:thumbsup:

Claude :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I still run my Holley carb for now but as soon as Holley releases it's 1,200 hp 8 injector Sniper I will be done with carburetors too! :thumbsup: --> Also, I don't want to have anything to do with Fitech because of their "POS" FCC and worse, their poor customer service. :mad: After all the bad reviews I've read about them, I don't understand how come they're still in business and why some guys still buy from them! :wacko:

Claude.
Besides the command center, they make a very nice product. I've installed high end FI systems for other people in the past and the FiTech is just as good.

I've had one interaction with their customer service. When they first released the systems I guess about a year and a half ago or whatever I emailed and asked how long the wait was. Somebody got back to me in about a day and admitted it was at least a month maybe longer. I couldn't wait at that point, but recently did buy one and am rather impressed with it.

Personally I don't think the low end Holley stuff like the sniper is any better or worse than FiTech.

·
Registered
917 Posts
So... knowing the command center is a train wreck, what would everyone recommend as a complete shopping list for someone who wanted to go from a stock carb+mechanical fuel pump+stock tank to EFI with a FiTech or similar product?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
So... knowing the command center is a train wreck, what would everyone recommend as a complete shopping list for someone who wanted to go from a stock carb+mechanical fuel pump+stock tank to EFI with a FiTech or similar product?
Any EFI throttle body with an in-tank pump and a return line. ;)

Claude.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Anything that puts the pump in the tank and has baffles. Tanks inc is a complete solution tank, sender pump. Aeromotive stealth looks like a good product, but you probably would have to cut the trunk floor. Fuel lines are -6. Any brand braided hose is ok really.

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
I have the teflon lined nylone braided hose, also the earls hose that holley sells in the master kit both work great. as for pump for in line aka external I used the holley pump that is actually the Walbro 255lph part #GSL392. I bought the holley master install kit for an external setup. I am using a stock 78 malibu tank and pick up for now and it does fine just remember the pump has to be below the level of the tank your using. If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a GNX stock replacement tank and pickup since it is a baffled internal tank that pops right into my car the G-bodies except the elcamino all use the same tank the only difference is the 86-87 and up cars used fuel injection so they had a baffled tank and internal pump.
The guys above are well vs in their cars and the tanks inc tanks are the way to go if they make one for your car.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have been running the FCC for a few years over 8000 miles in the Texas heat no issues when I first installed it had some fuel coming from the vent. Installed a holley regulator upstream of the FCC turned the fuel pressure down from 8psi to 4psi that went away no problems since..........pressure = heat.

Have it mounted on the core support where the washer bottle went on my 67 El Camino maybe I got the good one.....lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts