Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 454
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 396/325 is old and tired and I am considering buying a new 454 GM crate motor for my 69SS. The car has A/C with the big box protruding into the instrument compartment. I have a tough time getting the rear spark plug out on the passenger side due to this box.

If I put the 454 in there will this task be even harder?

Has anyone already made such a switch? Can you access that spark plug?

My car is 69SS 396/325 automatic with air.

Thanks for the help

John

------------------
John M. Usher
Starkville, MS
1969 SS 396/325
TC#147 / ACES #3063

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
This is a bolt in. 454/427/396/366 have the exact same outside dimensions. If you had trouble with the plug on the 396 your gonna have the same trouble with a 454.

You might need to change the oil pan....don't dump the 396/325 pan before you have the 454 in and running. Check to see if the 454 / 425 has a clutch linkage mounting flange and a provision for a mechanical fuel pump.

"The General" fell on his head and did not include the mounting points for the fuel pump and clutch linkage on some of the big block crate motors. The General did come to his senses later and re- included the mounts. Somebody makes an aftermarket bracket for the clutch linkage if the engine you find does not have one. Worse case ya gotta use an electric fuel pump if you block does not have the boss for the mech. fuel pump.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I replaced my 396 with the 454 /425 crate motor back in August after my daughter spun the bearings in my 396.

I am 100% glad I did it.
Get the GM Performance Catalog from your local GM dealer. It is full of neat stuff. In addition to the motor you will need 2 things ( both flagged in the catalog) 1) Get the 4qt pan kit. Contains everything needed to make the change 2) Distributor gear drive.
( If a standard you also need to change the flywheel but you have the auto)
The crate motors are all Black so plan on taking the time to clean and paint it before installing. Also, the valve covers are ugly so plan on using your chrome covers off the 396 or get new ones.

If you have other specific questions e-mail me or post them here.

Shop around all your local Chevy dealers for price. Don't pay list. $4200 -$4300 is a good price. In the back of the Performance catalog they list all the dealers who have agreed to stock GM Performance Parts but ANY GM dealer can order them. The parts manager might be willing to order you the motor knowing they have no stocking overhead for less than the stocking dealer. You can get the motor from other places for a little less but till you pay shipping... You do the math.

Good luck,

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.