Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was painted back in August. Looking to hear options for wax or polish? My wife uses Zaino products, but there’s so many steps. Hearing s little of ceramic finished now too. Or just stick with old faithful carnuba wax? Attached is after painting but before painter buffed it out. Doesn’t seem to have any orange peel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My buddy's who own body shops all tell me the same thing, never wax base coat clear coat.. They say wax yellows the paint..

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
I don't know about that. That is the 1st and only time i have ever heard that statement. Wax is a sealant so how is it going to yellow the paint? Would like to hear an explanation on that. I mean there are so many different waxes with different ingredients cant see how that is possible.
Aside from that if I am going to " wax " my car I only use Carnuba Wax. I have on occasion polished.it and for that I prefer Klasse All In One. However having said that my car was painted in 2016 and I have not polished it since. Just waxed it.
My dailys are a different story.

Reactions: Greg P

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I used Collinite Insulator Wax (a liquid Carnauba wax) on the '67 VW Beetle (base/clear) I owned a couple years ago and also on my Honda. It's extremely easy to use, beautiful shine, and really, REALLY long lasting. Can't say enough good stuff about it; it's been around for ages. Anyone have any thoughts on it before I try it on my Chevelle when the weather warms up? I haven't heard that you shouldn't wax base/clear paint; I'm certainly not saying it isn't true, just that I haven't heard that before.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Collinite Insulator Wax is good stuff. I use it on my Chevelle. It creates a great shine. I used to use it exclusively on all my vehicles but have morphed into using sealer instead of wax on my daily drivers and the wife's car. I found that cars that are exposed to the elements or are driven regularly carnauba wax doesn't hold up. Think sealer is the way to go with those but with the Chevelle definitely Collinite.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Insulator it is for the Chevelle. What brand do you use, Brad? I've heard A LOT of good things about Zaino, but it's so much work and you have to use several Zaino products I think.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
My buddy's who own body shops all tell me the same thing, never wax base coat clear coat.. They say wax yellows the paint..
For your awareness, here's a statement from the Wax Forum, sponsored by Mothers.

"Myth: 'My salesman told me because my new car's paint has a clearcoat, or it has a special dealer-added coating, I don't have to wax it.'"

"False. All paint must be periodically clayed, cleaned and waxed to protect it from damage due to contamination, dirt and UV rays. Many consumer advice publications recommend against dealer-added paint protection programs, as they are often overpriced synthetic wax and are only as good as their installation, which can vary greatly with regard to attention to detail. They still have to be maintained with routine applications."

FAQ: New Car Paint Care Myths - Wax Forum

Greg

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would go with any good wax with Teflon in it like Turtle wax. Has the car seen sunlight? Meaning have you left the car outside in the sun for any amount of time. You may want to do that for a day or two and then wax it once the car has been in the garage over night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts