Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
2,231 Posts
You pick the year. It depends on what you like and what tickles your fancy.Things to look for are the usual mechanical items and then the Chevelle specific items..numbers etc. Anyone on this site i'm sure would be glad to help coach you along including me.I see your in Jersey..where abouts? If I am close would be glad to help out....Al

------------------
69 Chevelle SS 396 350hp convt. 4spd w/ac Monaco Orange
69 SS-RS Camaro GMPP ZL-1
w/DNE 5-Spd Hugger Orange
70 Chevelle LS-5 M-22 Cpe misty turqoise
ACES 1805

[This message has been edited by alss (edited 10-26-2001).]

· Premium Member
1,126 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlameYellowPearl:
i am in the market for a chevelle. any hints/tips for a first time buyer? which year is best, etc.. thanks, ginny<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Year is a matter of personal preference. When look at a car, check for leaks around the rear window and the windshield. I didn't look close enough and It's been burning me ever since. Mechanical parts are cheap and easy compared to body work. Look for a car with a sound body and worry about the mechanical stuff later. Also leaking vinyl roofs can do a lot of damage that can't be seen with the vinyl still on so be careful there, too.

Tim.

------------------
Proud Owner: '69 Chevelle
Malibu: 350, PG, 3.36 open dif.

"ALL YOUR RICE ARE BELONG TO US!"

http://www.wyatts-torch.com/~dienadel/chevelle/index.html

· Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Well ginny, first let me welcome you to the greatest car site on the web, glad to have you with us

What to look for? I feel the main concern would be the condition of the body and frame. Rust and Rot will take a lot of time and money to make right. If you don't know what to look for, take somebody with you who has an idea of that sort of stuff. It will pay off in the long run.

As far as what year is best? Well, 69's of course - and Blue on the outside. You'll get lots of opinions on this one. Everybody has their own year as a favorite. As far as the most popular, probably 67's and 70's.

BTW - FlameYellowPearl would look great on any Chevelle

Good luck in your search.

EDIT - Al and Tim are quicker on the trigger than me today.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

[This message has been edited by Don_lightfoot (edited 10-26-2001).]

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am in the market for a chevelle. any hints/tips for a first time buyer? which year is best, etc.. thanks, ginny<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i like the 70's but 1969 i heard was the best year for the chevelle... is this true? oh yeah, i'm from the jersey shore area.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i like the 70's but 1969 i heard was the best year for the chevelle... is this true? oh yeah, i'm from the jersey shore area.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and thanks for welcoming me don, i know i'm a girl, but i knew that this was a reputable place to learn more about the chevelles. i figured i'd go to the pros!
~

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Well first off, I am glad that you know your a girl! Thats a good thing for you to know. lol Don is partially correct. In my opinion the 69 is one of the nicest, but he seems to have this weird opinion that blue looks the best on them! Red!! Red looks the best. If I were to go looking again, I would take a body man with me. Lots of members have a link to there cars posted under there posts. Click on them and decide for yourself which you like the best. Good luck!

· Registered
1,258 Posts
I think it all boild down to personal preference. No set standards as to which Velle was the best. I have seen 69's that are alot cleaner and put out more power than my 70 but I have seen alot of 69's that didnt. Gos for any other year as well. It is what you make it. Dont buy something because the next guy says they like it, buy because you like it and buy it because its a 70

------------------
'70 SS 396 4spd
TC# 1341

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me"

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks - yeah it seems that 1969 is the year i keep hearing about. i was once in the company of a very talented person when it came to chevelles or any chevy for that fact... he had a sweet 1972 chevelle. i've always wanted a muscle car, and i have some extra cash now, so i thought this would be the best time to start shopping! and thanks silly.... i know i'm a girl~ but it looks like this is mostly men here, so i thought i'd distinguish myself as an avid fan

· Registered
3,926 Posts
Hey! hey ! hey! Who is dissin' blue 69s here
????

My suggestion when looking at cars is to ensure the body and frame are in great condition (wish I could go back in time and take that advice
). Goodluck in search and welcome aboard!

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back!"

[This message has been edited by Bow_Tied (edited 10-26-2001).]

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Ha!!! I wondered which one of you would come back first! Love your car bow_tied. Been in memorylane more than once! Just that mines red so ya know what it's like.I really like the stance of yours. Anyway, glad I got a reaction. Thats what I was looking for!

· Registered
225 Posts
Welcome to the board...you are right...you came to the pros...I ain't one of them
...but the advice given above are good ones. It all just boils down to personal preference. IMO...they all look good and I would like to have one from every year 64-72 but my personal favorite has always been the 67 SS396 with the 70 SS coming in a very close second and the 69SS not very far behind that.

Would suggest that you take someone with you when you go to look at the car...and that is not just cuz you are a girl. A couple of sets of eyes...especially one set that is a little more objective can help. It is real easy to fall in love with a car at first site and not be able to "see the forest for the trees".

Good luck in your search. Don't be afraid to travel a little bit to go look a fine piece if necessary

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

· Registered
4,588 Posts
Welcome to the board!!
I'd throw a few words of caution to you: living in the Mid-Atlantic area, a lot of the cars you may find could have a lot of hidden rust. Depending on that you're looking for, don't hesitate to have a potential purchase checked out by a reputable body shop-it's cheap insurance for a purchase like this!

Also-where on the shore? If you're not too far north, you could make it to the Mid-Atlantic Chevelle show next year. You'd see one of every year and model there. That could help you make up your mind.

------------------
71 Ragtop
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

· Registered
962 Posts
Like in people, the most important thing we look at is the body. You want a real good one!

Lay down to do the best inspection as water damage starts at the bottom. Look at the bottom of the doors, the bottom of the fenders, the bottem of the trunk lid. Get into the trunk and lay down, look at the bottom of the rear tray, with a flashlight, look up into the area behind the tires and up to the rear pillars. Look into the "holes" in the bottom of the trunk lid for rust as that is a good way to figure what is the average rust under the dash and inside the upper areas of the doors. Look into the cowl vent area with a strong light for sign of cowl rust through.

If you do all this you will have a good idea of the amount of rust which is your biggest problem on any 30+ year old body.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

· Premium Member
683 Posts
Alright, I have a question for you. Are you planning on restoring or do you need a car to drive.

Try and find a car with as little rust as possable. You can always change the engine, transmission, rear, bushings, springs, etc. but its hard and $$$ to get rid of rust. Make sure the sheetmetal is straight and not full of bondo or filler.

A common problem with 68-72 chevelles is that the rear window leaks and rusts below the rear window molding. You'll see some bubbles under the paint if this has been occuring. You'll also might some some bad rust in the trunk if this has been going on for too long.

As for 69s being the best, I like 68s because the have more classic features such as wing windows and ignition in the dash.

But I do like em blue (the darker the better).

------------------
Joe Yoder
BADBU68
LSE Motivated

[This message has been edited by Joe Y (edited 10-27-2001).]

· Registered
35 Posts
at raceway park a couple weeks ago there were some nice cars 4sale. i have a 70 malibu and 71 ss, i like the 67s too but 70-72 body style a little better. it all depends on what your preferences are, how much your willing to spend, what kind of work you want to do. chevelles are alot better and faster than those supercharged weedwhackers that get hung up on speed bumps.

if your looking to go fast id recommend starting with a small block.look for a car with power steering and power discs, any year chevelle w/manual is a dog to drive, check the body mounts, check the frame for cracks and weird looking welds/patches especially in the rear by wheelwells, check the top of the a-pillar on the driver next to the windshield where it meets the roof for a crack going across, check the floors, 1/4s and trunk. floors and trunks arent usually too bad but almost every chevelle needs or needed 1/4s. id get a car that runs so that while im driving it i can work on it. interiors and paint arent too major because you can always get new int. for it and paint it later but look for a car that runs and a body thats fairly solid.
thats pretty much all i can think of right now.
im my opinion 70's are the best, 70 was the peak year for everything, mustangs, chargers, camaros, chevelles, gtos, cudas, it really comes down to personal preferences, theres positives and negatives for all years.
i have a friend who owns a shop and deals mainly in chevelles, hes real reputable and is pretty reasonable with prices. i dont know where along the jersey shore your located but from pt.pleasant/brick/toms river hes about 40 minutes north, from sandy hook/monmouth about the same. he runs across cars and parts all the time. i can give you his number if you want.
good luck with whatever you decide on.

· Registered
587 Posts
What TronDD said is advice worth listening to
very well.Buy the best body and chassis you can in the year you like best.If at all possible take someone with you who knows what to look for.Also if possible try to establish what you want the car to be.Will it be a daily driver,a numbers matching show car,a car you want to tinker with yourself to learn the ropes,and buy accordingly.For example my 68 chevelle is my first one and I am trying to learn what I can as I go along.With that in mind I bought a rust free Nevada malibu and am trying to build it up the way I want.Not a single number matches anywhere but who cares,the car will be fun to drive without fear of it's value.Good luck and keep us posted.

Tony

· Registered
22 Posts
WOW, this is like...real KARMA

You live on the Jersey Shore.
I lived in Long Branch before moving to NY!

You are looking for your first Chevelle.
I just got mine 4 months ago!

You seem to like the 1970. Very wise choice and the year that brings in the best resale.
I happen to own a 1970!

You love the color Blue
My car happens to be Blue!

Want a nice Automatic.
Mine is a tight TH400!

Looking for a good solid engine with power and a great driver.
I just had the engine rebuilt flawlessly by a machine shop that builds $125,000 engines for some of the top Fuel drag racers in the world! It drives like new and is 415 hp, 450 torque(dyno)!

Need p/s,buckets,tinted windows,SS dash with orig. working tach.
Mine has it!

Has to be documented
I have build sheet!

I could go on and on. Truth be told, if you are serious, I am asking $13,500 and will drive it down for you to see it. Just e-mail me and we will set it up.
How lucky can one girl be!!

Steve
P.S. This car will bring 15k plus next spring. Remember, Confucious say..."He who hesitates, is lost"

------------------

"The difference between Men and Boys are the price of their toys"

1970 SS 396 TH400

[This message has been edited by Myles_Turner (edited 10-27-2001).]

· Registered
2,702 Posts
You want to know which is the best year????

Al, the girl is trying to start a fight

If you can't resist staring at it, it is the right year, if it runs well enough that you can cruise it between repairs/restoration projects, it is in good enough shape to start with...

IMHO of course.

[This message has been edited by Professor_SS (edited 10-27-2001).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.