Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car has a 350 roller cam and roller lifters also has timing gears as well the other day I installed an accell performance distributor I installed it with the rotor facing the same palsce as the old one and made sure the oill pump drive was in I put everything back together and the motor ran great so I decided to drive it to my fathers house so we could tune on it a little this is 45 miles away all the way there the car ran great no problems I even got on it a couple times pretty hard on the way and it was like a whole new beast because the vacum advance didn't work in my old one hei by the way, anyway when I got there we played with the advance a little then found a bad vacum hose so we went to napa to get a new one on the way back my dad says nail it so I did and right as I grabbed second gear I hear this awful chatter.
Luckly we were only like three blocks from his house so we get there and pull a valve cover off and we aren't gettin any oil presure up top even with the car running not just cranking and as anybody knows on a sbc with the cover off I should get sprayed with oil. Here is the thing the car still runs good dosen't miss and still carries 50 psi on the oil pressure guage in the car could the pump pickup have come off thats what my father thinks I also drained the oil and didn't get any metal in it or shavings sorry about the long post but I am really freaked I don't have alot of money what so guys think

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Tough to diagnose without seeing/hearing it, but if the pickup falling off was the cause of no oil to the top end of the motor, you would not have 50psi on the gauge. You have oil pressure at idle correct?
One other thing,...it helps to throw in a punctuation mark every 400-500 words:D Makes it easier on the reader.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I still have roughly 50 psi but the top end is chattering like crazy and still no oil the roller rockers where dry as a bone. Kinda sounds like alot of sewing machines.

·
Registered
734 Posts
my car has a 350 roller cam and roller lifters also has timing gears as well the other day I installed an accell performance distributor I installed it with the rotor facing the same palsce as the old one and made sure the oill pump drive was in I put everything back together and the motor ran great so I decided to drive it to my fathers house so we could tune on it a little this is 45 miles away all the way there the car ran great no problems I even got on it a couple times pretty hard on the way and it was like a whole new beast because the vacum advance didn't work in my old one hei by the way, anyway when I got there we played with the advance a little then found a bad vacum hose so we went to napa to get a new one on the way back my dad says nail it so I did and right as I grabbed second gear I hear this awful chatter.
Not trying to be mean, but that is the longest sentence I have ever seen. :yes:

Like Jim stated, it is hard without hearing it. Did the clatter continue or was it a one time thing? You may still be getting oil to the rockers without getting sprayed. It will make a mess, but doesn't usually "spray". If it is a knocking sound, you may have spun a bearing. Either a rod or crank bearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is a constant thing and when we took the covers off it didn't even drip oil with the car running. the thing is I have heard engines knock from a bad bearing, I had a friend who had a 94 formula firebird do that this dosen't sound like that. It's more like the lifters are rattling. I assumed it was because they weren't getting any oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not even dripping out onto the headers. The thing that gets me is I have heard a car knock from a bad bearing, Ihad a freind with a 94 firebird formula that had a bad bearing. This sounds like the lifters have ran out of oil. I just assumed thats what the noise was. Besides I thought when you screwd up a bearing you lost most of your oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Well, you mentioned installing a new distributor. If part of that is messed up (the part that seals the galley area to ensure oil gets up top), you will have oil pressure but none to the lifters and rockers. Check that. I suggest you stop running it and find out the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I didn't drive it much after the noises, what will I be looking for on the dist.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Pull it and look at the area I have shown in the red circle. Does yours have any o-rings there? That is the area that provides a seal to the cam journal. If it is not sealing or not lined up, you get no oil to the top. Place it next to your old distributor and compare them. Are you it is seated all of the way?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not trying to sound unapriciative but how did I drive it 45-50 miles with no noise just asking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts