Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebay has gotten to be such a pain to use with the high fees from selling and using PayPal. So, recently I listed some car parts on Craigslist and the e-mails keep pouring in. Problem is, only one or two of them are from legit possible buyers with the vast majority being "if you give me your name and bank information I'll wire you some money" offers. Nothing good lasts for long I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
c/l has become a joke "sorry for the hassle" what a bunch of crap....

if i catch the jerk who keeps flagging my ads, he's in for an ass whoppin.

no, i don't want tattoos in trade for my engine.

i'm not selling a bike, especially to anybody in england.

i'm not selling helmets.

i don't care that your 17 and have ddd boobs, quite e-mailing me.

i'm not accepting your check for more than i'm asking.

i don't care if your father was president of what ever made up country.

it just goes on and on.

my buddy called the other day, he has a few things on c/l, and i had to explain to him the 100% of the inquire's he had were bogus. he asked how i knew, so i read him all the e-mails i recieved , and they were word for word every e-mail he'd recieved. kinda killed his buzz...

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I have a bunch of parts listed on craigslist right now as well, I havent recieved a single bogus response yet, and they have been on for a week, listed almost every other day. I kind of like playing with the scammers, so I was a bit disappointed I havent gotten any yet.

Hell I would be happy with one real inquiry whether they are tire kickers or not.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Just post your phone number, and no email. :)
ditto, the only way to list on craigslist is to not allow email and have only your phone number.
the last thing I sold on there was a 1995 Bonneville listed in this way, it was gone inside of 8 hours from the time I listed it.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
I have a bunch of parts listed on craigslist right now as well, I havent recieved a single bogus response yet, and they have been on for a week, listed almost every other day. I kind of like playing with the scammers, so I was a bit disappointed I havent gotten any yet.

Hell I would be happy with one real inquiry whether they are tire kickers or not.

Jeff
most scammers probably don't even know where Hawaii is :p

·
Gold Founding Member
64,231 Posts
Just post your phone number, and no email. :)
I created a special hotmail email account just for craigslist.
I would rather do that than to use my phone number since it keeps me totally anonymous.

You get to where you can tell the serious buyers from the scammers.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Get a google voice local number that goes to your cell phone. Never ever put your real phone number out on the internet.
If the reply to your ad has the words "seller", "item" or "please respond to me so that.." it is a scammer. Aslo, if they ask about the condition and you've clearly stated it you know it's a scam or moron and either it's a waste of time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only time that I posted something on craigslist and did not recieve spam was when I put a little note down at the bottom of the page that listed all the horrible things I would do to the person who tried to scam me. It was quite a list, longer than the discription of the car I was selling. May have been just a coincidence though...

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
i wont post my number on craiglist ,,, why dont want people calling all hour's of the night... if someone is interested they will ask for a number to contact you. if not they wont ask...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I created a special hotmail email account just for craigslist.
I would rather do that than to use my phone number since it keeps me totally anonymous.....
Not really.....

.....You get to where you can tell the serious buyers from the scammers.
Yep, but they are getting harder to point out.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I put an ad on C/L with only my cell # and still got 2 emails. :confused:

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I listed some G body parts a few times and actually was expecting to be hounded with scams and didnt get a single one either. Several guys whom seemed to be honest buyers left thier own phone numbers to call which I ended up making a fair transaction with one guy because of it.

I have seen many mention right in thier ad not to bother wasting time trying to pull a scam. I have tried it as well and it did seem to work. Or a coincidence.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I've had mixed results with Craigslist. Quite a few scammers have E-mailed me. I listed a Saginaw a few weeks ago. I had it "sold" the next morning, and the guy came up and got it that afternoon.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I used to have very good luck with craigslist, now it seems to be 1 out of 10 calls I get are sales and 1 out of 20 emails are legit. More leg work but I move a lot of stuff on there.

Tom

1 - 20 of 51 Posts