Team Chevelle banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
360 is also pp heads it looks clean thats a good sign.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anyone else have anything to add? Rowdy.. Vortecpro? Bob West? where you guys at. Looking for all the info I can possibly get.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
everybody:
I have never seen chamber notches as in the pics posted page 1 above. Where did this voodoo science originate?
I've read that it became the "hot ticket" to notch the chambers in quench area to create a forceful squeezing of the air back towards center chamber. I haven't seen that style though as it's usually a thin line machined into the head.

·
Premium Member
11,261 Posts
Interesting Jimmy. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I'd whack the heck out of the 702's and do some bowl work. Use the steel shim and get all the compression in it you can. It's way to easy to end up with about 7.7 compression with those things using original heads and flat tops.

Get a good healthy flat tappet cam. It doesn't need to be a high RPM deal so shoot for all the cylinder pressure you can with tight LSA stuff. I'd use a solid flat tappet with around .600" lift and long slot rockers...but that's just me.

The Air Gap would be great.....and something like a 950HP Holley..or thereabouts. I'd use a good 750 DP if nothing else...but it can use larger.

If money was tight I'd just use a good points distributor with some Accel points....I've made over 800 HP with them using a stock Bosch coil. Or a decent HEI is fine too with some curve work.

I'd use the T-350 with a good converter.

JIM

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How much is safe to take from your standard BBC head deck before intake alignment becomes a problem/ funky hi dollar pushrods? Enough to go from 9.1 to say.. 10.1?
Not really excited about odd length pushrods. Rockers will be comps magnums.

I intend to get the 702s gone over slightly. An honest 500 or so HP would probably suffice before any nitrous is added. Not sure if ive stated, but im more of a restoration/"restomod" type of guy, even do so for a living.

A rather stout motor has always "eluded" my project spectrum and now is the time.

Thanks for your reply Jim, hows that turbo vette running? It wasnt quite finnished last
I read, I can only imagine its giving smiles per miles now. Thanks again.
BobD

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
A virgin stock 454 shortblock with 215/290/063 heads with a good valve job, performer RPM intake with a 230 @ .050 hyd flattappet, 850 Holley, with a tight foot brake 8 inch converter will easily run 11s in that Nova. You only need 360 real FWHP to run 11s in that Nova. Infact the you could run the cast iron intake with the Q-Jet and still run 11s.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So if expecting around 25% drivetrain loss, then 500ish flywheel HP? I do not have 215/290 nor 063 heads. I have 360s and a set of 702's i intend to use. Thanks Mark for your reply, I know you know what your talking about with the old iron.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
So if expecting around 25% drivetrain loss, then 500ish flywheel HP? I do not have 215/290 nor 063 heads. I have 360s and a set of 702's i intend to use. Thanks Mark for your reply, I know you know what your talking about with the old iron.
My 3600 pound Buick GS ran 11s with 360 crankshaft HP, forget about drive train losses, run the right converter with a decent Turbohydramatic, with the right tire.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Will do Mark, thanks! I wish you took on cylinder head work. I'd have the 702's done up by you.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Thanks for your reply Jim, hows that turbo vette running? It wasnt quite finnished last
I read, I can only imagine its giving smiles per miles now. Thanks again.
BobD

Here's the latest...running good!!

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729098

"Good" pushrods cost the same regardless of length. Not sure if you need anything real fancy for this though. I've run low/mid 11's with pocket ported ovals and barely 10.0 compression in a 427 in a 3650 LB Camaro with no drama on street tires. You can easily do this.

JIM

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Id like to get the car in the 3300 # range with me in it and mostly full interior. Maybe I should of set my goals on 10.9s? 9s on nitrous? Man this is going to be alot more fun then I anticipated! Maybe I oughta put the 4 speed in it and really have some fun.. hm..

Man thats gotta be the baddest convert vette ive ever laid eyes on, including the new C7s. Thanks again all, BobD.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got the heads dropped off for some bowl, and apparently valve work. Machine shop says they are awful sloppy.. Bad runout on enlarged valves. Glad I dropped them off instead of just running them.

·
Premium Member
11,261 Posts
I ran the 226* cam as 1) good deal and 2) with 4000# of El Camino and driver, I needed TORQUE. Your lighter car 230-234* duration will work with 9:1 CR, install the cam advanced a few degrees

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Still waiting for my heads to be done and cc'd, going to get it up on the stand and apart for a true inspection this weekend. Got a new dial indicator in today so we shal see just how much compression can be rang out of your common "junkyard" parts.
Hopefully my lo dollar build can be another base point for the future BBC newb.

Im hoping to get a cam, lifters and timing set ordered this week. Any benefits to the higher dollar flat tapper lifters vs kit brand? Im looking at these two cams any and all feedback is appreciated.
BobD
Howards 235/241 @ .50 553/553 108lsa
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-122441-08/overview/make/chevrolet

Howard 231/235 @ .50 544/553 110lsa
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-120761-10/overview/make/chevrolet

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Thoughts on my picks, anyone?
The ring lands fatigue on factory pistons after the power is turned up. The 108 cam is the one to use, use only Delphi lifters on it. The ETs I posted earlier on this thread revolve about the car leaving hard and that means the correct 8 inch converter being used. Cam breakin is done on a dyno with light springs and Joe Gibbs XP 4 oil.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The ring lands fatigue on factory pistons after the power is turned up. The 108 cam is the one to use, use only Delphi lifters on it. The ETs I posted earlier on this thread revolve about the car leaving hard and that means the correct 8 inch converter being used. Cam breakin is done on a dyno with light springs and Joe Gibbs XP 4 oil.
Its a one season type of deal. 8" converter? I was thinking of a 9" , fill me in on the difference between 8,9 and 10.

Thanks for your help, im going to order my cam right now. Straub tech has the Delphi 817 lifters. Is this what im after? Machine shop has its own personnel land & sea dyno so we will be breaking it in and running the initial gamut on it.

It better hook, while still using leaf springs. It will have Smith racecraft *caltracs* copies, 28 x 11.50 slicks, moog springs in the front, tubular control arms and a bit of weight reduction. All in a 69 Nova.
Thanks for your help Mark, the more I look at your website the more your engine packages look like a great deal!
BobD

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
275 drag radial, light weight 8 inch foot brake Buick stocker converter is what you want, those others are for the car show.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts