Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home my first big block. It is a 454 block #3999289 bored 0.030 over with 353049 heads. The cam is a Comp cams SFT that I think has too much duration for what I need. The numbers on the front of the cam read 322, 332, V706. I believe the first two are advertised duration, and the last is a part number. This is going in a 70 chevelle that I drive mainly on the street. I may take it to the strip someday. I would like to hit at least 500 HP. I need decent vacuum for power brakes. I also run power steering, no A/C. I read alot of good things about the Lunati cams here, and need some recommendations. I would like to stay with a solid flat tappet. Here is more info:

Iron heads 353049, 122 cc open chambers
Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold, 850 cfm carb
700R4 trans with around 3000 stall converter
12 bolt posi with 4:10 gears
Keith Black 203 pistons, 10:1 compression?
1.75" primary headers, 3" collector, 3" exhaust

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Agree with Bob on this one. Also, did you have the heads cc'd as far as chamber size? If they really are 122cc, your c/r is likely just under 9/1. Those pistons are listed as 9.1/1 with 119cc chambers. c/r will make quite a difference when picking out a cam, so you need to be pretty close to what's actually there. John

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I have a Clay Smith C-292-8-B cam. It has about 8 Hrs of running time on it. Has .570 lift. with a 1.7 ratio rocker. This was a really nice cam I just changed to a solid roller and added N20. So I no longer need it. If you are interested let me know.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to bump this. I found my heads are 118cc chambers and my compression ratio is more like 9.2:1. I would like to change to a voodoo cam in a solid flat tappet version. Any suggestions? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts