Votes: 86 74.1%
  • Color match to body color

Votes: 30 25.9%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of putting my 68 together, and a question on firewall paint. I'm painting my car Cortez Silver with black stripes. What color do you guys have your firewall ? Do you color match it to car, or do you paint it good ol' black ? :confused:

If you could post a pic or two would be great. My car is far from original, so I'm not concerned with what is necessarily right , just what you guys prefer.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The poll currently says black, but the posts say color match. Please, more pictures of both. Thanks for input.

Blackrose, I checked out your site. NICE work.
I set as my background for my desktop, the overhead view of your car. Nice photo, hope you don't mind me hijackin' it. ;)
Thanks all,

John

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think it really depends on the color for me. Too much of something can look like garbage (seen it before) or cluttered. I do like Blackrose90's car, it's sweet. I saw an orange 69 wth an orange bay and orange block and it was just too much. I think it looks good on almost every resto-mod I've ever seen too.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I went crazy over this same thing. I decided since the engine was not original to paint the firewall, inner fenders, and engine block the same as the body. If I had the original engine, I would have painted everything original.
Do what makes you LIKE it.
Herbie

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
John. I would have to vote for both. I think, If the firewall has been smoothed (ie. blackrose90) then "body color". But if its left "as is" then I think black looks better.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
definitely body colour! especially given its not stock... but even stock for stock i think body colour looks much nicer, canadian cars and mopars etc. had body colour and it makes a much nicer engine bay... i never understood why GM would have this unsightly tape line from the factory over the cowl and paint the firewall black... of course if i were restoring i would put it back to original, just wouldn't be happy with it!hahaha!

ak

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw this post come up again, so I thought I would at least update you on what I did. First, I got some color match Cortez silver, and sprayed the firewall. I wasn't happy with the way it turned out, so I hit it with good ol' black. That's the way it's going to be for me. :) Thanks for all your votes, posts and pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts