Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im new to this site and was hoping maybe some of yall have came across this problem. Beore i Go at it I was hoping to get a lil info if possible since its here to use. I just switched my 72 chevelle sweep dash over to a 72 monte dash, Harness and all. Well that went excellent. But no fuel guage, but it didnt work when I had the sweep dash in her also. so I checked to see if I had fire to the power wire going to sending unit at the back of car and didnt, but I have fire to the running,blinkers,brake, tag and reverse lights. so I went to the fuse block and found the light brown wire that I had seen in the back and no fire. so my question if any body can help is could it be a bad wire in the back harness or could it have something to do with the fuel gauge hook up. im gonna replace sending unit but want to make sure I have fire to it first. Any info will be appreciated........ Thanks Brian

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
On your gage pink is the 12 volt lead and black is the ground. Do you have 12 volts between the pink and black with the key ON? Exactly what is the gage doing or not doing?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the guage is past the full mark. on the back of the cluster there are 3 screw like terminals coming off of it. On my old cluster (the sweep) I had the same thing but had a 3 prong terminal -_- And in the harness there was a plug to go on to it. Now on the monte harness that I just put in there wasnt. I figured it was all in the copper plastic that was on the back of the cluster. Now there was 2 ground wires that were in the harness one went to the emergency brake bracket and theres one thats a lil shorter and not hooked up.I'm not sure if im suppose to put this wire on the bottom terminal -_- thats not wrapped with the copper plastic or what. But the problem I noticed is that I dont have any fire going to the fuel sending unit thats located on top of the gas tank. at the fuse block theres a plug that hooks into the rear harness, I dont have any fire there either. What ya think ??

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Well, I hope you don't have any fire back by the tank. Gasoline and fire don't mix.
Normally if a fuel gage reads super full and doesn't move, the line to the sender is open or the sender isn't getting a ground back by the tank. Read this link and see if that gets you going.
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref18.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.