Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through several different types of fire extinguishers and got a couple of Elements (Element - Fire Extinguishers – Element Fire Extinguishers) a while ago that I just got a chance to use. These things are magic! They use a potassium nitrate powder that reacts with the fire putting it out with no mess! They are a bit pricey but work great.

Is there something that works like this but not as expensive?

·
Premium Member
Vancouver BC Canada
2,318 Posts
Do they work on electrical and fuel fires? Like the ABC type do... In the Military we use the Blue type that put out everything including chemical fires.... Expensive and heavy!
Edit Guess they do... I'd have an extension pole to go with that thing... You have to get close to use it.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,476 Posts
In the late 90's my GF was driving our 84 T/A with a 350 & 5 spd that had a TBI 4 bbl that caught fire in front of a store, store owner called the FD but wouldn't use their extinguisher to put the fire out, replaced the windshield, hood, under hood wiring harness and a new Eddy 650 carb. A FE in my car would've been a lot safer and cheaper

·
Premium Member
Vancouver BC Canada
2,318 Posts
When I was running my very first car... an Austin Mini. I made it for the Road track we used to have here in BC nice little track called Westwood Speedway.
Long gone to the condo graveyards now. At the time It had a fiberglass front end and was kitted out to race on the track and drive home. But being it had the flip glass front end...That would burn quickly. I was going to Aircraft Maintenance Engineering School at the time, so I had access to lot's of parts for aircraft. I liberated a couple of the extinguisher nozzles that fir onto a modern day gas turbine engine for fire control. If there is a fire the pilot flips the switch... or pulls a handle lever and the extinguisher sprays the area where the nozzles are with the activated extinguisher chemical.
I plumbed them in to the extinguisher mounted to the trans hump so I could pull pin and depress lever from in the car. One nozzle at carbs and intake the other at the fuel delivery system and electrical.
I tested it with a CO2 type to see the spray and it worked well.
Never got to use it thankfully... I always wonder why cars especially with the electronics they have now, don't have a fire suppression system like Halon?
Just thought I'd share and yes anything is better than nothing!

Reactions: SD

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Never seen one of those, looks neat. $80 doesnt seem unreasonable for the size advantage compared to a normal 10lb extinguiser ($40-50). I had a small underhood fire at Mid-Ohio last fall. Thankfully, my friend had a small regular extinguisher on hand. Any extinguisher >>> no extinguisher.

-Dave

Reactions: VinceS427bb
1 - 8 of 8 Posts