Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
does anyone know where i could find a chrome Fire extinguisher for my car? I've looked in all my catalogs and found nothing. I need to get one just in case something happens. Nothing worse then having your car catch on fire and all you can do is sit there and watch it burn. It happened to me once before on my first chevelle, but luckily I got it out with a rag. Any input appreciated, thanks.
Joel

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't remember ever seeing a chrome fire extinguisher on the market, though I have seen them in a few cars. Maybe you'll have to find someone that can chrome it for you. If you have/get one that's rechargable, you should be able to get it chromed, then re-filled if you ever need to.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don, The Plating places I checked with, say they can't chrome one, cause the shape of it.
I know I've seen them before. Somebody must have it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
An alturnitive suggestion. Have you ever seen the mess a regular chem fire extinguisher makes? Almost as bad as the fire.
I started useing those little Halon extinguishers. About 6-8 inches long. Fits in glove box, under seat or in your coat or pants pocket. If I'am working a carb or timming or both that little baby is in my back pocket, everytime! Puts out the fire, no mess.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Definitely a good idea to have. Some car shows actually mandate that you have a fire extinguisher on hand if you show your car now. I'm thinking Long Beach is one of them.

A couple of summers ago, I got into my Malibu after work. Normally, I close the door and then start the engine. For some reason, I left the door open this time. I put my foot on the gas to close the choke, then fired it up. Nothing unusual. I let it warm up a bit. Then I smelt gas. I almost passed it off as nothing, but decided to pop the hood.

The worm clamp from the pump to my in-line fuel filter had come loose. Gas was spraying all over my engine!

I ran over and shut it down. I am sooooo lucky. Now I check it every now and then.

·
Registered
372 Posts
While the halon fire extinguishers are nice, I wouldn't keep one in the passenger compartment. I'd recommend the trunk. The halon extinguishers have the potential to asphixiate(sp?) you. I've seen dry chemical extinguishers lose their charge, so I'd imagine there's a real possibility of that with the halon units. I'd hate to hear that someone suffocated because they were worried about underhood detail. Look at the measures they have to take in places equipped with halon fire systems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank's guys, I just ordered the 2 1/2 lb. Chrome Fire Extinguisher from ACE Performance. Should have it in a couple of days.
Waive

[This message has been edited by waive (edited 01-31-2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.