Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after many years restoring my 69, i,m attending my first indoor show next week,The car has not seen the road yet. Any suggestions for do,s and don,ts from people that have done this before. Thanks

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Take the car for a couple of short trips weather permitting to make sure all systems are working properly,ie brakes, clutch, trans and engine systems,ie cooling, fuel and ignition. Try to get it up to operating temp on at least one of those trips.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Congrats 300 on the completion of your car and good luck at the show...is it an all Chevy show or do you expect to embarass some Fords and Mopars? Diddo on Chev64's post - have fun!

------------------

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
Hope you have a good time at the show. Here's a few things I'll pass on to you. I really want to write an article on this as the first few shows I attended made me feel out of place.

Check out the location a day earlier if you can so you know where things are. You don't want to show up and be trying to make a left turn in a sea of traffic.

Arrive early, but don't get in the lineup right away. The first few cars are usually tucked away in some corner to make room for the next batch... you.

Follow the instructions, but don't be afraid to ask. I've never met anyone who wouldn't take a minute to help if asked nicely, especially if you tell them this is all new to you. Pay attention until you are parked, you have all day to look at the other cars.

Try not to park next to a car which really doesn't compliment yours. I got stuck next to 2 56 ford pickups and asked to move over with a camaro and a chevelle, they understood. It's more fun to be in a group of like minded cars... sure the 56 Fords are fine, but you wind up getting a bunch of guys hanging around your 'area' that don't give a hoot for your car.

Stay away from any imports with a zig zag stripe on them! These guys will completely ruin your day when they try to impress everyone with a pile of transistors in the trunk.

Be sure and have:
Bag of cleaning supplies - it IS a show & shine.
Bring a chair or two. It can be a long day.
Bring pencil and paper or business cards. You never know who may offer parts.

Once you are parked:
Take a minute and get your breath. I know this sounds silly but you may get descended on by someone who wants to talk about your car right away.
Get the cleaning supplies out and freshen up the car. This is a fun part of the event for me. Very casual, and people don't mind bs'ing while you are fiddling around... it's obviously YOUR car so you seem approachable.
Once done. Leave the hood open. Closed hoods are a killer at a car show. zero points and everyone thinks you are hiding something. Don't yank the hood all the way up, it's ugly.... open it enough that you can see the engine, but not so far that it looks like you just rearended a truck. If you have an underhood light, disconnect the positive terminal. Many indoor shows require this anyways.
Depending on the judging, you may want the trunk open a similar amount. The doors should be left ajar (this is considered an invitation for the judges to open them and look). I usually leave a few factory brochures on the seat and also have a small 8X11 framed spec sheet pointing out features that might otherwise be overlooked. Don't leave your protecto plate on the dash or anything that you can't afford to lose.
'You've got mail!' I like this part, once you attend a show, you are invited to more! Many clubs and organizations drop off flyers for their events - I always say thanks.

Speaking of judges, don't hassle them. I always smile and walk away. They don't need me chasing them around. Many times a small sticker will be placed on your headlight. This means that your car has been judged. The show you are attending sounds more like a people's choice show, so make sure they can see your entry number.

Watch out for the guy who is looking for a friend. He (has/had/is getting) a car just like yours but it's going to be much better and blah, blah blah. Everyone has the right to daydream, but not on my time. Inevitably this guy will take ALL your time if you let 'em, meanwhile some great guy who really wants to talk Chevelles is waiting. hmmm, obviously a pet peeve of mine.. didn't know I felt so strongly about this.

Be patient. Most people are just out for a nice day and may like your car but not have a clue about it. Another pet peeve... don't chase the crowd around your car. If someone asks a question I'll take all the time I can to talk to them, otherwise I let them do as they please.
Say thank you. Most people appreciate the effort that you went through and will say 'nice car'.
Finally, don't be disappointed if you don't win anything, go in the spirit of the event.

I sincerely hope you have a great day. Enjoy the show..... you've earned it.

-------
Well, like I mentioned, I really want to do a page on this topic and it looks like we are off to a start. We would welcome more info on this and will compile it all together for a future page in the resto shop.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Looks like Al has pretty well covered all the bases, but I'd like to add a little emphasis to one of his points. Don't become a 'trophy hunter', so intent and focused on winning a $10 trophy that you miss out on the fun! Over the years, I've seen far too many people get so wrapped up in the pursuit of winning that they lose out on the opportunity to make new friends, pick up helpful hints, etc. Have a good time and good luck!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
One more thing...don't be one of those guys that gets so wrapped up in the rules, he can't enjoy himself. Like was mentioned, people's choice shows are FUN shows. I can't stand these guys that show up, then start whining about someone else in their class that shouldn't be in their class and stuff like that. If he wants to be judged so closely, he should wait for the judged shows, where he can whine to somebody else. As mentioned, it's a $10 trophy, HAVE FUN
...who cares about the rest?!?!

W

·
0 Posts
Al covered all the stuff that is important and he was headed to the part about the "strokes" who like to BS and make silly comments about your car.

I helped a friend of mine do a 55 vette for the show car circuit. I took 7 years of sweat and huge sums of money to get this car ready for showing, and after doing the NCRS stuff and the Bloomington Gold stuff, I got to tell you that putting the top down and driving the car was a hell of a lot more fun than any show. I hate all the nonsense, the dumb questions and most of all the standing around for hours doing nothing.

No more trailer queens. I have two chevelles, one 67 and one totally original 71. Both are drivers, the 71 has 41K on the clock and will never see a show.

The 67 is undergoing a radical engine swap, suspension replacement, new wiring, the whole deal.

How much fun can it be to own one of these cars and not be able to drive it?

When you leave the show, bust it in the ass going out the door, see if they invite you back then???

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'd like to add one thing if some one wants a picture, step back let them take a picture of the car.If they want you in it they'll let you know...FRED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.