Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided a few weeks back to build new clutch linkage. I found a couple of atricles on line about it and decided even an idiot like me should be able to figure this out! I did it!!!:thumbsup:

The z-bar was bending too so I straightened it and re-enforced it too!:)

Now as soon as my check from GWB gets here I can buy a new clutch and a trans reseal kit and I'll be back in business!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Any chance of a large close up on the adjustment rod?
Nice work..
Here you go! I cheated and bought a rod and cropped the end then added the heim joint!:)
The rod in the pivot end is solid about an inch up.You can find the point by screwing in the adjuster rod to the bottom and measure with it. I used 7/16 heims. A little overkill but the holes were already drilled and had door bushings in them.
I cut the threaded end off leaving about 3/4 inch and ground it down to fit the hole in the adjuster tube. I slotted 3/8 inch from the end of the tube on four sides to help strengthen when I welded the heim in place. Then welded around the end.
If you need a closer look I can get a picture of it tomorrow.:)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update, sorry no pictures right now. I installed the new clutch linkage and boy! what a difference! It only takes half the effort it used to to push the pedal!
Did discover that the clutch wasn't fried like I thought it was. What I found was ths adjustable pivot was backing out (jam nut was still up against and looked locked down:confused: but there was only about 3 turns left before it would have fallen out!
I replaced the pilot bushing and throwout bearing just to make sure but I noticed a couple times the T/O bearing squalled. I hope I didn't get a bad one!:(

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Finished My New Clutch Linkage! (now with installed pictures)

Pictures could have been better.:)
Pedal to z-bar.

Z-bar to clutch fork.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Nice job!

I used this article for reference years ago to build mine. No one offered it then (or now) since my car is not in the muscle car realm, and a 2 year only deal for mechanical linkage since GM went hydraulic (yuck!). Been rock solid for going on 10 years now!:yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.