Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See EBay #595724873. I like the dash, armrest tags and the black spray painted (leather) interior (panel paint is flaking off). The tailgate emblems appear offset to the right on my screen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If it's the finest in the world, then why is it out in the rain??

------------------
Nick Pratt,

TC #1442

Proud owner of a 66 Malibu -
355, four speed, 3.08 pegleg

14.94 @ 93.75 (Needs work, I know)

<A HREF="http://www.public.iastate.edu/~amcarthu" TARGET=_blank>
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House</A>

·
Registered
137 Posts
Whoops!

[This message has been edited by Chevelle66 (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Good eye Randy. The thing I don't understand is it is probably worth the asking price or close to it, so why lie? And why would anyone bid if you can already find Bull***t just by reading their add? Too bad ebay does not have a comment section so prospective buyers could be warned.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
yeah, i like the "no mechanic or bodyman has ever touched this car" im trying to figure how it could stay perfect for 31 years in the rain, and have a sweep dash too. that means he's so full of it. sounds like con artist or just an a-hole car dealer, ya know the kind that just sits there and eats his lunch in front of you while your asking about a car on the lot, like he's go so much business that your a peon.

i sent him a note letting him know it's not even a true SS let alone the finest

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Gotta luv it "No Tares"
Guys, that looks to be a small used car lot, I could see what looked like dealer stickers in the windows of some of the other cars, plus there is a pick up sitting on a drive up display ramp. Sad thing is that whoever he sells it to will eventually find out it is a "made" car.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Super Moderator
16,197 Posts
I didn't know leather interiors were optional in 1970. Gosh, learn something every day. No self-respecting collector would buy such a car without popping the hood: let's see that motor!

Man, if you are going to fake an SS, at least do it right! (Sweep dash, who knows what the engine looks like....)

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

[This message has been edited by Rich-L79 (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
16,197 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcice:
What part of the VIN# designates an SS? The number is on the add.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

13680 = Custom El Camino 8 cyl Two door sedan pickup

This doesn't tell you much other than it was a V8 truck which could mean anything from a 307 2bbl to an LS6 454. The VIN does not indicate if the vehicle is an SS. The sweep dash sure indicates it isn't however.

Did anyone notice where the SS door panel emblems are? LOL!

I don't think I'll ever do any business with Murr Motors in Florida!

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Cheeeesh. I emailed the seller to let him know that some were in doubt if this was indeed an ss. His reply:
Thank you for your interest in the El Camino, for which I think you have none but wanted to point a few things out to me.
I am not a collector nor represent myself as one.I did buy this at an estate sale in Arizona and they represented it as original. So In contacting an attorney, you would have to back to the original seller that represented it as an original which in this case would be the estate sell. I did not buy this car to sell, but to race. I have already bought a 502 big block to drop in it. But I have a friend that collects old cars and he wanted me to at least offer it to those that collect them via Ebay so I did! I do not need the grief though! Either you want it or you don't. The hood alone for parts is worth $2500.00. Thanks for pointing out what you think is misrepresentation by myself. I will take my El Camino off Ebay, keep it and have fun!!!!

I think this guy is on glue!!
Anyone want a $2500.00 hood?

·
Registered
21 Posts
here is the response that i got asking for documentation, cowl tag info and block info(i did realize what the car was before contacting him, but i thought i'd give him the benefit of the doubt and give him the option of letting me check out his info)

Thanks for your interest in the El Camino, but I am not a collector, so I do
not have any information you are requesting nor am I going to search for it.
I did run a car fax on the car before I bought it and miles are correct.
I bought the car for racing not selling, I have already bought a 502
Chevrolet Big Block to drop in it if it doesn't sell. I do not need the
money or grief.
I bought the car from an estate sell in Arizona, and they represented the
car as original. Again I did not buy it for selling, but I have a friend of
mine had suggested before I drop my engine in it to a least offer it to
those who collect them as a hobby so I did. I did drop the price to
13995.00 but that is as low as I go. The hood is worth $2500.00 alone for
parts. Again thank you for your interest in the EL Camino.
Mike Avera
(904) 242-9111

response to mike avera

i'm having a hard time understanding your not buying it to sell and then paying to advertise it. obviously i don't need to buy it either, but would be interested in doing so if your claims can be substantiated. obviously you are trying to mislead potential buyers if you are unwilling to help any verify the claims that you have made. you leave yourself liable to the purchaser if the following claims are untrue that you have made in the advertisement.
1)FINEST EL CAMINO 454SS IN THE WORLD
2)ORIGINAL 454 SS
3)39494 MILES ON 454 ORIGINAL ENGINE
4)NO MECHANIC OR BODY MAN HAS EVER TOUCHED HER
5)NO CHIPS OR CRACKS IN PAINT
6)MATCHING NUMBERS
7)NOT ANOTHER ONE LIKE IT IN THE WORLD
i am a serious buyer as you can see by checking my feedback. i can assure you that if i were to buy the car and you cannot verify the claims made there would be a serious problem.

response back from mike avera

Sorry if you have a hard time swallowing the truth, but it is the truth. Please don't bid on it. Again I am not a collecter only bought it for the body because of the shape it was in and the miles ARE correct check carfax. I don't care if it is not how they represented the car to me when I bought it. I can understand you postion though. So please don't bid.
Only in America can you get threating emails for trying to do the right thing. Sell it to someone that would apprecaite the vehicle. I do not apprecaite the vehicle only it's body and tranny. Please forgive me if I have upset you at all not my intentions. Again don't bid on the El Camino if you would.
Mike Avera
(904) 242-9111

i think it's interesting how disinterested this guy is in being honest. he's just waiting for the ever elusive "fish"

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
"Only in America can you get threatening Emails" TwoBryans. My email was in no way threatening, and nor can I see any threat in yours. I think the guys just peed off cause he got caught, and thats good! I would hate to have to be the one to tell some young fella he never got what he paid for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
there are entirely too many people that get ripped off every day by guys like this. all you can do to help is tell people to only buy after being satisfied that something is actually what it is represented as. as always "buyer beware", especially if someone is evasive when plainly asked to provide info. by the way, he still hasn't removed the ad as he indicated he would. does this say anything to anyone about his motives are(hint,hint)?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
There is an elky at www.canadatrader.com that looks better than this one to me. Not much of a description, but it is a standard so would assume it is a 4 spd. Also, It is only ten grand Canadian. Originally a U.S. car. You U.S. folks can count on 40% on your dollar. 6 grand don't look like a bad deal! If you have a look, click on British Columbia, and type in El Camino.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcice:
What part of the VIN# designates an SS? The number is on the add.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That only works for cars thru 1968.

Kurt

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.