Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at a swap meet in Decatur Texas. He had driven down to pick up some parts from Tennesee. That's a L O N G drive for parts! He's a super nice guy and is lookin good, like he's got a California tan!
Oh, I also bought yet another El Camino today. Just couldn't help myself. One-owner 24,000 mile 64 Elky, factory A/C PS, PB, and everything works! AM radio & light, light in gear selector and it even has an 8 track stereo that works too.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Cool find in the survivor elky.

I think Chuck inhereted some of that great tan. ;) Thanks for the post, I keep putting off that I need to call the ACES hotline. Seems I only remember after it's too late at night. :mad:

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Hey Mike do not feel bad, I keep putting off calling ACES as well. No good excuse either.:(

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
That boy sure does get around. ;) Chuck's a great guy.
I talked to him earlier this week and plans are to hook up next weekend somewhere. Been wheeling 'n dealing on some parts.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Man....you guys in Texas don't know how lucky you are....swap meets in Texas are the best. I moved to Florida and I have to drive almost 2 hours for a swap meet. All we have here is snobby old people.:cool:
In fact I was doing some advertising for the FastBoatRaces in Palatka, Fl. yesterday. A lady was commenting on her husband, and that he liked old cars....so of course I burned her ears with MY CAR facts.....lol she said "you're the first guy we've met that doesn't mind discussing car facts ....can my husband call you to learn how to buy a car for himself" ....well sure I said. She says "we go to shows all the time and the people are so rude and won't tell you how to go about buying a car......they just want to charge you outrageous prices to buy theirs"

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This place is a hotbed of cars and events. There's something going on every weekend and big swap meets monthly.
There was a guy from Auto City in Minnesota there. He was busy ALL the time! He sells glass, brakes, gas tanks, etc. I bought a windshield for $99 for my 68. He drives here to Texas for every swap meet from now until May.

I saw a LOT of cars and parts being bought and sold, more than ususal. I bought and sold four cars in less than 24 hours! Sold my coupe, The 64 I drove home is gone, I had a Chevelle for a little while, sold it and brought home a KILLER 67 El Camino. dual quad 427 with Billit specialties serpintine system, DN 5 Speed, console buckets, 12 bolt, 17"'s,etc.
Can you see the smile plastered on my face through the screen?

When I lived in Florida, the only good events were the Daytona ones and they are awesome! Others....not so exciting. Boating rules in Florida.

·
Premium Member
14,223 Posts
The only swap meets around here are meeting up to swap war stories. ;)

No luck on any local swap meets around here.
Not exactly around there, but Charlotte Auto Fair every spring and fall. I know that there are people from this site that go.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Oooops.... Busted! I sure bumped into plenty of guys who recognized me (or thougth they did!), and when they'd ask, I usually asked them if we knew each other from jail, and did they just get out too? LOL!

Actually, the trip this past weekend had its start about a month ago when I flew to Dallas to meet with Tom Doty, who got transfered to TX from TN . For those of you who don't know Tom, he's the show director for Chevell-abration, and ostensibly, the meeting was to get things rolling for CB'07. Anyway, while I was down there for our meeting Tom talked me into attending a swap meet with him in Ft Worth; he "needed a few things" for the '65 2dr wagon he's screwing together. Of course, I agreed to accompany him. Shoulda left my wallet at home, though.

Ended up that I bought some things that Southwest wouldn't let me check as baggage, and I sure didn't want to take a chance on letting the guys in the brown trucks have their way with my precious parts. So, a return trip was planned... driving, of course, so I could haul my cargo back to TN.

Just so happens that the weekend for my return trip fell on the same one as the Decatur swap meet. I think Tom planned it that way, since I asked him to set the date. Besides, he's suspiciously good about helping me spend my money. Anyway, the upshot of all this swappin' is that my 4-foot, lighted Texaco sign is now safely ensconced in my shop, along with a lot of other cool Texaco memorabilia. Also scored an almost NOS Holley 3-barrel carb (been looking for one of those for my L89 ragtop for a couple years), some 15x7-inch steel wheels that I plan on painting and running with dog dishes on my black '67 SS396 convert, an old Quaker State sign with lotsa "patina," and a few other odds & ends. My office in the shop is finally gonna get some cool stuff to go with the gas pumps already in there...

Best thing, though, was the great Texas hospitality! The relationship between Texans and Tennesseans goes way back to the days of the Alamo, and I always have a great time whenever I travel to Texas. Also got quite a bit of stuff done on Tom's '65 wagon, although I think his goal of getting it done for CB'07 is a long shot. We'll see.

Anyway, it was good to be out among y'all. Hope to see more of y'all this Summer when the rest of the country thaws out and things really get to poppin'!

Chuck

PS You're right, Mike. My tan is year 'round!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts