Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me for ever, but finally decided.
Just ordered from Summit the Merlin 509 with aluminum heads. The motor will be dynoed and broken in at WP manufacturing, then sent to Summit Nevada warehouse and then on its way to its new home

They said I would get it in 3 weeks (right about the time I would have to go to Europe for 1 week
) so I will let everyone know when the beast arrives and post some pics on my web.

I am getting excited now.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, but I have plenty to do to get everything ready for the motor, so if I stay busy it will go by fast, that's what they say anyway

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Okay, lets try to both finish our rides by next summer so we can run them side by side at SIR...... whoo hooo......

Did you decide what tranny yet?

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The aluminum was cheaper than the price that I got from racingengines, so I went with that. Also, the 509 aluminum is putting out at least as much, if not more, than the 540 iron plus the weight savings so I went for that. Hopefully the BB Hotchkins front springs will not hold the motor too far up.

Mike, I can't wait until next summer man. I am ready to finish the darn thing now, but you are probably right, it will be 1 year from now. Unless if we get another winter like we had this year to motivate me to finish it sooner, so I can drive it when dry.

I am thinking about the 200 now, because it will be an easier swap, don't take as much HP to turn, don't have to change my driveshaft, and I like the 2.74 first gear ratio. Hope Bruce's tranny can take that torque, from what I have heard it can.

One concern is that with my 3.89 rear ratio and .68 overdrive, engine rpm at 60 mph with 28" tire will be 1950 rpm!! Am I missing something in my calculations, or does the formula that I am using assumes 0 tranny slip. How many RPM would the tranny slip add? I would like to be around 2300 rpm or so at 60 mph.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
With a lockup tranny you will be turning about 1950 RPM but why does that concern you? You were in my Corvette and I was driving with it locked at 1300 RPM! With 509 cubes you can just idle down the road or put the trany into 3rd......

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea why it concerns me. Now that you said it, it makes no sense. So I am concerned no more
The motor puts plenty of torque at that rpm anyway. Thanks once again Mike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It took me for ever, but finally decided.
Just ordered from Summit the Merlin 509 with aluminum heads. The motor will be dynoed and broken in at WP manufacturing, then sent to Summit Nevada warehouse and then on its way to its new home

They said I would get it in 3 weeks (right about the time I would have to go to Europe for 1 week
) so I will let everyone know when the beast arrives and post some pics on my web.

I am getting excited now.

I have been installing my 509 World Class motor with aluminum heads over the last 4 weeks and have had a series of problems. I would be interested in finding out if you have a plug fouling issue with the AED carb and if there are any inherent "knocking" sounds in the upper end of the engine. Thus far for me it's been quite discouraging but that doesn't mean that you will have the same unfortunate circumstances - please let me know how things go -

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I would hope Yanniz has it worked out by now...the original post is over 6 years old!! :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.