Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I held off on creating a project post as I ran into a lot of major setbacks and issues that dragged this out longer than planned (just like every project car). It started 2 1/2 years ago when I mistakenly purchased somebody else's project that they didn't have time to finish. The car had been fully disassembled and the frame, suspension and miscelaneous parts powdercoated. It came with a th400 and a fairly fresh small block. Everything was there and while I knew it needed new rear quarters the body seemed decent. I got a decent price for around here and took my prize home in 2 trips with a trailer and about a thousand boxes. The plan was to assemble what I had and to get it on the road and then make the changes I wanted later.

This is what it looked like then:

The problems started right away when I decided I wanted to get rid of the 350 and auto go big block/5speed right away. I sold the small block and most of the stock suspension and tranny right away. That freed up some room in the garage and some cash which was great. I then went ahead and ordered a fresh moser 12 bolt with trutrack and ford axle ends from Frank at GP superstore. I also ordered a 540 from Wolfplace to power the beast. The next major problem came up then. When I installed the dif and started measuring for the backspacing I discovered the frame seemed out of whack in the rear. I had measured the diamond when I bought the car and it was square so I was baffled. I took it to a frame shop and asked him to check/square the rear and correct the fame sag in the front. He measured the same stuff I did and thought it was good enough to fix. After 2 days he called me and told me he was giving up. His best guess was that it had been hit right on the rear wheel at some point and repaired poorly. When he started pulling the frame back welds started breaking all over and all kinds of ugliness was covered up with the powdercoat. It might have been salvageable but I didn't want to have a suspect frame under this thing and decided to scrap it. This was a major setback as new frames are very hard to find up here in any kind of condition. It took me about 6 months to find another one and it looked like this:

I spent 2 moths grinding, welding, gusseting and painting with por15. I reinforced all the week points - front LCA mounts, rear LCA mounts, rear crossmember etc. I decided not to box the full frame rails as I do not believe the benifit is worth the hassle of changing the tranny crossmember mounts and brake and fuel line routing. Once the frame was done I installed twin 1/2" SS fuel lines (supply and return) and new ss brake lines from inline tube, sc&c stage 2+ front suspension plus SPC lca's, edelbrock adjustable uppers and UMI adjustable lowers in the rear.

For now I'm running bilstein shocks with circle track springs with adjusters in the front. Next winter I may go coilover or at least varishocks depending on how it performs this summer. I also ordered up some c5 Z06 front brakes from Kore3 along with their al hubs. I found some LS1 rear brakes for the back .

Next to arrive were some more driveline goodies:

Followed by some pretty forgelines (18/9.5 front, 18X11 rear)

The real excitment arrived in a really big crate from northern california:

To be continued...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That allowed me to finish the chassis with the help of a 3.5/3" torque tech exhaust which I added some extra flanges for easy removal into and later removed to have fully ceramic coated. I also got a set of beautiful lemons 2 1/8" X 3.5" pro touring inside the frame headers. Those things are a work of art! Finishing the front end off is an alumatech rad with twin spal fans.

I had stashed the body with a guy from my home town that has a great reputation for paint and body. He had recently quit the shop he had worked at for years to start doing his own thing on his farm. He was a little backed up but I finally got to the front of the line last fall. Once he started digging into it he found a "few" more issues that resulted in more metal being ordered. Basically all that's left is the roof, firewall and floor. New full rear quarters, tail pan, door skins, fenders, hood, front filler, inner and outer wheelhouses, trunk lid and rear filler beneath rear window. Since his shop is 5 hours away from where I live now I trailered the chassis out to him to fit the shell onto.

Once it arived at the body shop he tore into it like a madman.

Seeing that was almost enough to change my mind to flat black...but into primer it went:

Then I got some teaser pics from him

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I went and picked it up the weekend before Christmas...what a present. I was ecstatic with the quality of the body work, especially since he did it in 2 months. You can also see that he managed to flush mount the front and rear windows with modern rubber seals and eliminate the majority of the trim on the car. The color is prowler orange from the 2001 plymouth prowler. I know it's sacrilidge to use a dodge color on a velle but I like that it's darker than the gm atomic or sunset orange and it's still a factory color so easy to mix.

I then moved on to the sound deadening. I covered the entire car with second skin damplifier pro. It took 2 bulk packs but I did from the top of the firewall all the way to the tail pan plus the inside and outside of the doors, entire roof and as far into the 1/4 panels as I could reach. What a difference! The thing sounds like solid lead when you knock on a panel and the doors close like a mercedes. Then I put a layer of luxury liner pro on the entire floor and firwall, including the trunk. That stuff is thick and is supposed to block noise plus absorb heat.

I then continued with the interior install, exterior trim and stereo. I managed to get 6.5' seperates into the stock kick panels by removing a bit of kick panel structure and surface mounting the tweeters on the cable pull area. The seats are Arizen with perforated suede on the seating surface for grip and a bit of cooling. The are rediculously comfortable and good quatlity for the price.

And here she is after it's first washing on Friday. Now I just need to get an appraisal so I can insure and license it and actually drive it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

There you have it...the complete story in high speed. It has turned out to be a bit of an oddball car. Pro-touring with a carbed big block. I always wanted a car with too much power and when I started almost 3 years ago not many people were making big power with LS transplants yet. for more details on the 540 check out my previous post:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224314

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is one hell-uva teaser pict. Looks great. How long before she's ready to go on her maiden cruise?
You snuck in on me! The first drive is basically weather dependent. We went from +15ºC friday to getting over a foot of snow on Sunday. It will likely be the end of April before it sees the road.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Awesome job on an awesome car. You didn't cut any corners, worked with solid professionals on stuff you couldn't do, and did all you could on your own.

I can't wait to hear how well it performs, and please tell me it'll never see a trailer! It's one of those cars that could be justified as a trailer queen, but it sure sounds like you can't wait to beat on it!

You really did this one right- a nice mix of style and performance, and it can't wait to deliver life-long memories to ya!

You'll never, ever forget this summer with it. Congrats- you earned it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, 315/30/18 rear, 275/35/18 front. I may need to cut down the mounting pad on the rears a 1/4" since I can't even get my fingers between the sidewall and fender lip. If the rear moves at all it could be trouble. I have about 1/2" on the inside to the frame.

This thing will never see a trailer unless it's broken. I'm already working on getting in on a 2 day driving course/roadcourse weekend in the summer to see what it can do on the big track. She's meant to be driven and beaten on.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Wow!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Dig it!

I really like the color and im not normally a fan of the oranges. That there looks mint!!

Way cool.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Congradulations on getting your project finished. Very nice build and it was a very nice touch to flush mount the front and rear glass. I was glad to see it done on a 69 and I am planning to do the same on my project.

Excellent choice on the motor combination. I guarantee you'll be happy with it :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beautiful! That is exactly what I needed to see! You dont see too many PT 68-69's and I needed some inspiration for my project. What a stunning ride! The car just begs to be drivin, unlike some cars that just want to be looked at. Your car reminds me of Bad Penny, in a very good way! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
No abuse. My hats off to you. Especially going to driving school (I assume a road course) to learn how to beat on the car. That's what I have done. In fact I've been to multiple schools now. Some guys know how to teach Chevelle drivers others don't. I have discovered, in case it was not obvious, that a driving instructor that is used to Miata's is not a good guy to instruct someone driving a Chevelle.

What are your brakes?+

Ron

1 - 20 of 109 Posts