Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been fine for 2+ years now until I left my foot in it for 3 passes at the track!
While I was making my 3rd and final pass and it cut out completely (for what felt like a second) then came back while on the shutdown part of the track.
It was fine down the return road, got my slip then went back to the trailer and shut it off.

Went to make my 4th pass, got in the car and......NOTHING!
No handheld,NO prime shot, No NOTHING.
Upon reading MANY posts I decided to check the harness connector and sure as ****, the main power feed was burnt.
Luckily I threw my tool bag for work and proceeded to bypass the connector on both sides.
Luckily, I had a wire nut in my bag (go figure, an electrician with a wire nut in his tool bag) and made the splice and presto, back in bidness!!
I didn't make the last run but instead figured driving the 50 miles back home was more important! :thumbsup:
SOOOOO the orange wire will now control the relay that powers the 400lph pump in the tank.
I guess I never needed the full demand even with the 406 to draw what that pump requires for that long.
With the 406 I was doing a 100 in seconds...not so much with the 5.7 tpi engine.
The 406 I was doing a 100 by the 1/8th, the 5.7 I did 93 in the 1/4!!! :eek:
Just figured I'd throw that out there.
the young lad and I.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My FiTech Go Port powered 5.7 Gen 1 might get to 93mph in a 1/4 mile if dropped from an airplane 2 miles up.

I'll be passing the 2 year mark end of August. I've had that connector apart several times, and haven't noticed anything, but I better check again. My pump doesn't have the draw yours does, so it might not be an issue regardless. Still worth checking now and again, and I better toss a couple of wire nuts in the tool kit to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My FiTech Go Port powered 5.7 Gen 1 might get to 93mph in a 1/4 mile if dropped from an airplane 2 miles up.

I'll be passing the 2 year mark end of August. I've had that connector apart several times, and haven't noticed anything, but I better check again. My pump doesn't have the draw yours does, so it might not be an issue regardless. Still worth checking now and again, and I better toss a couple of wire nuts in the tool kit to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the heads up.
Come on man, it can do it!

Yeah, I guess it was a matter of time and time ran out! :thumbsup:

It's the red IN (power) and the yellow with the other wire spliced into it on the other side (TB side) of the connector.
That connection is under the 1.5" heat shrink rt before the connector from the TB.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I never even tried it. Just ran the fuel pump wire right to a relay then to pump. Not a FITech but the same type setup.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Interweb rumor says that that connector was replaced at some point. I'm going to pretend that mine is the newer connector. I looked at it and it looks good, I put a bunch of dielectric grease in it and snapped it back together.

The Orange wire has a 25 amp fuse on it futher up the harness closer to the TB on my Go Port harness. Probably the same on the wet throttle bodies. Anywho, I'm going to add a hot fuse box and wire up the relay through the new fuse box and trigger it with the FiTech ECU Orange wire. Got nothing better to do. Hopefully I won't blow the car up and my garage with it. Well, actually if that happened while I was in the house it might be a blessing. I could use a new garage. :D

Thanks for the inspiration. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I forgot to add the sympathy. Yes it sucks. You were lucky you had the right tool bag on board.

You must have been on the ragged edge for 2 years with that 400lph pump. According to the docs, the FiTech can only support 15 amps on that pump power line even though it has that 25 amp fuse upstream from the connector. I think that pump (if Walbro) is just over 15 amps at 13.5V.

I got my new fuse block and fuel pump relay all wired up and the darn car started up and ran without exploding. Stuck with my old garage I guess.

Reactions: WHT/73

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chris I had that same problem I was leaving a car show and it just died, sucked to be towed out of a show that was the last straw for me. I now have a carb and have not been towed since. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm on month #14. Tonight was my first unexpected shutoff. Fortunately I was in an area near a parking lot and was able to make it coasting in but wow, just 10 minutes earlier and I was on the highway at 85mph with traffic. I'm still not 100% certain what the cause was.

Two items that are troubling to me.
#1: The main fuse next to the throttle body appeared loose. When I pulled the weather cap off the fuse holder, the fuse was in the rubber cap and not pressed into the fuse holder. It might have been how I grabbed the rubber cap and possibly yanked the fuse out. The fuse holder appeared very hot as it sits nearly on the manifold.

#2: I have the Fuel Command Center (the bad one). I noticed with key-on when my low pressure pump at the tank kicks in and the fuel command center kicks in, both pressure gauges were reading zero which suggests no fuel pressure. I found that odd as I would have at least expected to see the low pressure pump at my tank pushing fuel into the command center but that gauge read zero. I don't know what vapor lock looks like. Wondering if I just saw it. And yes, my command center runs MEGA hot since day #1.

After about 10 minutes, the car started up an I drove home.

Based on what you all just discussed in this thread, I might cut out those fuses close to the throttle body and move them to a safer area where temps are not as extreme. And I'll check those wire harness connectors. The command center is also on my mind -- considering going with a high pressure pump in the tank.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, how many miles on the car in those 14 months?

Around 8,000 miles, most of that highway.

After some thought, my post on this thread is not 100% the same problem as the original. My Fitech is powering the command center pump, not an in-tank pump. However, I liked everyone's discussion on wire harness issues and that struck a cord with me as I don't like where the inline fuses are. After reading the posts, I think I'll relocate the connectors and fuses to an area further from the engine block... away from all that heat.

My problem last night was mostly due to my little "Mr Gasket" inline pump feeding the command center had trouble and I suspect it was due to my fuel tank venting. I believe I ran the command center dry due to no gas getting from my tank to the command center. I have no other thought as to how the fuel pressure was zero but then 15 minutes later all is working. I'm considering switching over to an in tank pump and running high pressure line up to the Fitech unit and dump the command center.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts