Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a story, no real problems.

I decided Friday to finally connect my volt meter on my gauge cluster. Before it was all over with, I had the whole dash out and the wiring harness all apart. Why? Well, I got sick and tired of the rats nest behind the dash along with all the butt splices and unknown wires haning here and there.
It is all nice and neat now with all butt splices removed and wires soldered with heat shrink tubing on them. I re-wrapped the harness with new
harness tape and put it all back together. Worked on it Friday night til 2 am. Saturday starting from 9:30 am to 1 am. Sunday from 2 pm to 9 pm.

Last thing, I forgot to wire in the voltmeter.
No worries though, I left a for the meter, just didn't squeeze on a connector and connect it.
I'll do that tonight.

If anyone happens to read all of this, can you tell me what the brown w/white stripe wire is really for? It is a resistance wire and I am all out of thinking power to try and figure it out.
It is the wire I am connecting my voltmeter to.

Any suggestions?

Dave

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like the back-up wire for the alternator. Wire provides a voltage to the alternator in case the GEN idiot light burns out. I assume you left it in there.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI John,

Yeah, I left it in.
Just spliced a lead off of it for the voltmeter.
Looking at the schematic, it looked like the best place for a voltage check. Although I am a little worried about the resistance wire effecting the real voltage. Any thoughts?

Dave

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd leave it alone and splice on to a switched ignition wire. Is there a pink wire in the area?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think so.
I wonder if the voltmeter on the resis wire
will offset the circuit. Maybe it will, huh?

I'll look for a pink.
How bout the one on the dash bulb socket?
Its an idiot light for something, but I'm not sure what.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one I am thinking of is on the passenges side of the instrument cluster. Has a pink and I think a dark blue wire with it.
I think it is for the BRAKES idiot light.
maybe.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Guessing since it has a dark blue that may be the oil light. That pink will work. All the pinks go to the same place....just think pink.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, the infamous oil idiot light.
No wonder that bulb never lit up.

just think pink
Pink Panther insulation type pink? ;)

thanks for the help John.

I owe you a beer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts