Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thankfully, with the of help DZ AUTO. I have rebuilt the muncie in my 66SS a few weeks back. My question is, when should I fill it with lube? Do I fill it when its back in the car or maybe through the side cover? And correct me if im wrong but isnt it 90 weight like 80w90 or something? (I forgot, sorry DZ)
Anyway thanks for your help guys.
Chris R.

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
You are correct on the oil, either is fine. If you haven't put the tranny back in the car yet, fill it up to the bottom of the filler plug hole and shove a driveshaft yoke in to keep it from running out the back (if you have one). Otherwise use a length of gas hose on the spout of the plastic bottle and squeeze it in.

FOR EVERY ONE ELSE WHO PUTS OIL IN THEIR 4SP,
DO NOT USE POSI ADDITIVE in your 4sp. The additive allows the posi clutches to slip, and if used in a 4sp, it doesn't allow the brass syncro rings to do their job adequately. You DO NOT want the brass rings to slip.

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Chris, mine wasn't out of the car when I topped it off. Simply put a piece of gas hose (bigger than 3/8 although I don't recall the exact size) on the end of the bottle, laid the bottle ( the quart size) on my headers (cold of course), snaked the hose down to my fill hole and let it run. Takes a while, so I continued to putter around the car and work for 20 mins.

Best to do it out if you can plug the back up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another way if in the car is to get a hand pump for adding oil to the lower units on boats (from Walmart about $5). This will thread onto the top of a regular gear oil quart container and you just put the loose hose into the tranny and pump it until full. You don't have to worry about squeezing the bottle, etc.

------------------

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
Hey Tom,
Give us a little more info about this pump. This really sounds like life saver.

------------------

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is just a little hand pump that threads onto the top of a quart container. The discharge has a hose connected to it that can be put into the fill hole of the tranny. You just push the lever down, a little oil goes into the hose and it pops back up. Very simple. I use this since it is almost impossible to fill these with 3" exhaust right on the side of the tranny.
The real use is for on the lower unit of a boat motor. The hose has a little threaded fitting that will screw into the lower unit bottom drain hole, you fill from the bottom and vent out the top, when the oil comes out the top vent, you re-install the plug and then remove the lower hose and reinstall the plug.
The only real problem is when you get to the bottom of the container, it does not get all of the oil out, you have to refill and pump somemore.

------------------

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
GOT TO HAVE ONE! Maybe 2 (for my son).

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.