Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a seach but can't find the equasion for figuring it out. The piston top is down the bore .750 (3/4"), the bore is 4.155 it took 124cc's to fill the space. how do you figure cylinder volume in cc's for the empty cylinder. bore 4.155x2 .750 depth ??????

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18488

Read post #5 in that thread. Second paragraph says since you know how much it takes to fill with the domed piston, you now need to calculate how much liquid it would take to fill with a flat top piston. The difference is your dome volume.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2040922_calculate-volume-cylinder.html

Following that formula, I come up with 10.17ci, which converts to 166.66cc's. If you subtract your 124cc's, that would leave you 42.6cc's, which doesn't seem right. Something's missing. Unless you have a huge dome on those pistons. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Rick,
Volume = area x depth
Area = pi x r-squared
r = 1/2 of the diameter
Area = pi x (2.0775 x 2.0775) = 13.559 square inches
Volume = 13.559 x .75 depth = 10.169 cubic inches
Convert cubic inches to cc's = 166.64 cc's
You used 124 cc's of fluid, means your dome volume is 166.64 - 124 = 42.64.
That sounds huge. Are you sure of the measurements? Are the domes as big as your thumb?

·
Super Moderator
13,297 Posts
The piston top is down the bore .750 (3/4Thanks.

Rick,
When you say the piston top, do you mean the top of the dome, or the flat part of the piston (like if it did not have a dome) ?

Like Jim said, 42cc sounds like an awful big dome. What part number piston is it ?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys now I can figure DCR for the new cam. yes it's a big dome. I had all the info from when I figured this out when I started running these pistons, but lost it in the computer change. they are old trw 2337 .060. I have 119 cc heads, .012 deck height and 9.47cc head gasket (4.345x.039).

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't find the dome volume by the piston part number ?
These pistons haven't been made since the 70's and they were only made for a short time. Everyplace I've looked no one has a cataloge that lists them.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what it's all about Darren:thumbsup: Gotta keep up with them hot 454's some of these guys are building. JIM, Vince :waving:
DCR calculator says: 10.37 static and the DCR 7.97 @112ICL and cam advanced 6 degrees 8.36 DCR

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Thanks Guys now I can figure DCR for the new cam. yes it's a big dome. I had all the info from when I figured this out when I started running these pistons, but lost it in the computer change. they are old trw 2337 .060. I have 119 cc heads, .012 deck height and 9.47cc head gasket (4.345x.039).
=
You sure they are not 2307?
The 2377 was a flat-top from memory
2307's were listed as 50cc's but were usually somewhat less.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Mike,
The story I was told is that TRW started making these piston for .060 396 motors but weren't big sellers because the circle track guys were partial block filling and boring to 427CI.. There was a machine shop that use to do alot of big block modified motors here in the Allentown area(recently sold the business and retired). Ted the machinists has been doing motors since the early 60's. When I gave him the piston to bore my block he said he remembered these form the 60-70's. He said the guy who owned the business probably had quite a few of these sets in storage along with alot of other big block cams and other parts. he said they were 12.5 with 112 or 114cc heads. the second pic has info that was written on the lid when I bought the piston on ebay. this is my spare just incase.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Thats what it's all about Darren:thumbsup: Gotta keep up with them hot 454's some of these guys are building. JIM, Vince :waving:
DCR calculator says: 10.37 static and the DCR 7.97 @112ICL and cam advanced 6 degrees 8.36 DCR

big blocks. ha, gotta keep up with budget built small blocks.

i can vouch for the dome on those pistons. they are HUGE.

cant wait till you get the car squared up right, and doesnt leave you down again, its been a bad past year for the both of us.

aaron

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
Hi Mike,
The story I was told is that TRW started making these piston for .060 396 motors but weren't big sellers because the circle track guys were partial block filling and boring to 427CI.. There was a machine shop that use to do alot of big block modified motors here in the Allentown area(recently sold the business and retired). Ted the machinists has been doing motors since the early 60's. When I gave him the piston to bore my block he said he remembered these form the 60-70's. He said the guy who owned the business probably had quite a few of these sets in storage along with alot of other big block cams and other parts. he said they were 12.5 with 112 or 114cc heads. the second pic has info that was written on the lid when I bought the piston on ebay. this is my spare just incase.
=
Sorry about that Rick,, , misread the number :eek:

I was thinking 454 not 396
Whole different deal
The 2377 was a flat top & the 2307 the big dome 454 pistons

1 - 15 of 15 Posts