Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Figured I'de ask..

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  speedr8413 
#1 ·
My Chevelle.. 350/TH350 - Edelbroch Performer RPM, Road Demon 625, everything else stock..

When I put the new carb and intake, I was unable to fit the stock manifold vacuum outlet to the intake. So I plugged the hole, and was able to get vacuum off the carb. The problem is, it must not be enough vacuum. The tranny will not upshift unless I either shift it manually, or I give it full throttle. The car HAS to be going 45 to shift to second, an 65 to shift to third. Unless I shift it manually, and even then the engines gotta be up at 2100 RPM.

Also, It's not like the tranny stays in first gear til 45. If I drive it slow, up to whatever, and let off the gas, RPM's return down to idle speeds. So basically it slips or something..

Do ya'll have any suggestions on how to get aroud this? I'de certainly appreciate it.

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

#2 ·
well i've seen electric vacume things for sale in the jegs book i think. They are used for if you have too much cam and no vacume so i bet this could help you. What is your brake setup? power brake booster or just manual

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

#4 ·
It's got Power Brakes, which work fine off the port from the Carb... It's just really tight back there, I was wondering if there is something else to do. I also want to buy one of those adjustable vacuum modulators from Summit..

------------------
Scott, 20

#5 ·
Get an outlet that is pointed up so it won't hit the back of the intake when you put it in. I had to do this with mine. Worked fine for me.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

#9 ·
Speed,

Just a thought but I accidentally plugged my modulator line in to a ported vacuum hole that was dribbling vacuum at idle(very low but tricked me) and mine did what yours is doing. ie.. only getting enough vacuum to shift at "ported rpms" ??

just a thought

------------------
Dave Harvey
'85 Grand Prix
Chevelle Waiting

#10 ·
Hey, Thanks Turbodave, I'll check that out, cause that's my problem..

68 Malibu, I'm getting vacuum for the modulator off the carb, in the front, right next to the timing advance port. It's a TH350.

JoeY Yes, I did have a 2bb, and yes I hooked up the kickdown linkage. I bought one of those universal Throttle/Kickdown brackets and it appears to kickdown right at the end of full throttle..

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

------------------
Scott, 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.