Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm laughing reading a CHP article where the author puts in a Vintage air conditioner in one day. I've spent the better part of today trying to pry off what must be the original shocks on my '70. what should have been a 1 hour job, shocks and springs, has ground to a halt. Trying to reach up under the shock mount (rear shocks) to hold the upper bolt while turning the corroded and seized nut has made my arms turn blue from lack of oxygen.
Basics?

·
Registered
423 Posts
gkopeck;

Damn, I wrote that article and I could swear that I didn't imply that it was only one day to do it. It took three trips to the AC shop just to get the hoses made up the way that I wanted them (it takes a special crimper for the AC lines). I spent two hours at the AC shop getting it charged. NOTHING OF VALUE CAN BE DONE IN ONE HOUR!

In regards to your problem with the shocks, I'd just use my Mikita 4" cut-off saw and have that old shock out in 2 minutes. But then again, I don't think that I have any of the cut-off wheels in the garage and would have to wait for a welding supply shop to open on monday to get more.

Wes. Vann

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you wrote that article? it was a good one.
lucky you, good job to have.
shocks are out, and very correct, i should have soaked them days ago.
someday i'll write an artical about the impossibilty of working on cars on a military base.

·
Registered
423 Posts
gkopeck;

I also write the articles in the Technical Reference section of this site.

It's NOT my job. I'm an architectural engineer in California.

Wes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wes, gkopeck is talking about an article in Chevy Hi Performance not the tech ref section... gkopeck: wes didnt write that one!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mike;

I wrote both!

The Vintage Air article first appeared in an issue of Chevy High Performance. It's been recently reprinted in the "Hot Rod Chevelles" publication (also from Petersen Publications).

Wes. Vann

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I had my wife pickup HOT ROD CHEVELLES at the news stand the other day. Is it only available at the news stand or can you get it by subscription?

------------------

·
Registered
336 Posts
woah, I stand corrected! I actually havent seen either article but just from the posts I came up with that (wrong) conclusion..

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've noticed that some of these how to stories start ringing of familiarity. i guess they try to cover all markets. wes do you get $$ each time they reprint?

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Hot Rod Chevelles a mag really this is new to me. where can I get a copy? i would kill for one. anyone get theres from a common place like a super market?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Gkopeck,

Man I used to love working on cars on base. The base garages were always so well equipped ( at least Ft. Ord (gone I think ) and Ft. Monmouth were ). That's how I got my drinkin' money, working on other guys cars. Anyway. Pat is right on the money. I've used up one can of THRUST on my '67 already and just bought my second. It has been absolutely invaluable in freeing up stuck bolts. BTW, THRUST is the best I've found.

If it's any consolation, I spend over an hour yesterday trying to get one parking brake setup installed ( blew a wheel cyl on Sat night - just before a 5.0 whizzed past me )in my rear drum. Maybe more than an hour. Cried UNCLE and put my new shoes/wheel cyl on and said " Call for help". Now I'll have to pay a pro $45/hr to do it.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-12-99).]

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think we all have had 30 min jobs decay into multi day knuckle busting nightmares. The top bolts on the rear shocks are always a pain. I think I will pay the $8 a shock to have pep boys or Sears put my next set on. They probably can't screw that up much
With rusted old bolts I tighten them and break them off when I can, that can be fun but I am strong enough to to that. I overtorqued a new set of Stainless steel header collector bolts and had to break them off, had no dremel to cut them with, that was TOUGH
BTW PB catalyst is another great rust dissolver, hard to find in retail though.
Frank

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
DG & Hot66ss-
Hang in there it's supposed to be on the stands until 9/27/99. I've looked all over for it 4 grocery stores didn't have it. Went to a hole in the wall magazine store and it's sitting right there they had about 50 of them the guy said they just got them last night. Sooo that means they're still being distributed and they should be around soon!
DG, if you want I'll pick you up a copy, shoot me an email.
Hot66SS, It's a one time only issue not a new mag. It's put out by Hot Rod.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i've started trying to use grade 8 replacement stainless bolts with anti seize for precaution. however anti seize usually ends up on everything and is a real hastle, plus not great for the skin i suppose...
for the hot chevelles
try shopping at book's a bazillion if you guys have one, or i actually think i got mine at atlanta intn'l airport.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If there is anyone that can't find a copy of the Hot Rod Chevelle magazine where they are, let me know. There were a lot of them here (Biloxi, Mississippi). I would be glad to help you all out! Us Chevelle lovers gotta stick together!

----Jerry----

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gene - base shops are great for one day jobs but sometimes projects take time...I had a full bird deliver a "get your car off the blocks" message recently. The huge irony was I didn't want to live on base in the first place. When I went to the shop, I got yelled at for painting, then the guy said "no work involving gasoline."
No gasoline? hmmm

·
Registered
42 Posts
gkopeck,

Actually, I've started using a MWR base shop (NAWC-China Lake, CA), and am suitably impressed. Lots of tools, paint booth, etc. I was the first user of their machine that swaps out all tranny fluid from the car. I thought it was kind of neat. But I'll have to return the filter. After looking at it ('95 caddy), you are paying $30 for a gasket, as the filter is really more of a screen than filter.

However, the base garages, in trying to be self sufficient have prices that can be somewhat high. I think $4/hr to use a lift. and so much per day to have the car sit in the shade.

>>>Rod<<<

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.