Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In some of the magazines I read (Chevy High Performance, Petersons 4Wheel..etc..) They have "Fiberglass Cowl Induction Hoods" for our year Chevelles for like $199. They must be talking about hoods that "look" like Cowl hoods because aren't the real ones connected to a blithera of gadgetry? Isn't the gas pedal and air cleaner major players in the whole Cowl thing? Not only that, a heavy steel Cowl hood thats real costs mucho denero if you know what I mean.... Anybody know the real deal on these so called "Fiberglass Cowl Induction Hoods"?
Thanks....

------------------
IrateN8
Northern California
1970 Malibu Sport Coupe, Proudly USA (TX) Built
Gen-X Member

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
They call them "Cowl Induction" from the '69 Z28 hoods, not the '70-72 Chevelle hoods. They have two styles, a bolt on, and one that uses the factory latch mechanism, but with light hood springs, available for an aditional charge.The lighter pin on style usually runs $199, the other style is around $270.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
80 Posts
Irate, you must be confusing the terms "Cowl Induction Hood" (which is simply a hood with something like a hood scoop facing backwards to collect high-pressure air at the base of the windshield) and the real McCoy (which is the above, plus the functional-flapper found as an option on '70-72 SS Chevelles). This rear-facing flapper on the back of the cowl hood opened up when the accelerator was mashed to the floor, allowing additional cool, dense air to pass thru a ductwork to the air cleaner. So it's a bit different to refer to a "cowl induction" hood (which can be purchased for Novas, Camaros, and a variety of other cars, as well as Chevelles) and the true "Cowl Induction" performance feature, which I believe was only found in Chevelle SS's.
Even without the function-flapper, the Cowl Induction Hood looks way cool.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Darn, Doc said it all. Theres "cowl induction hoods" then there's "cowl induction"

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right on Doc, on the Cowl Induction hood.The 1980 and 1981 Camaro Z/28's had the "Air Induction" rear facing hoods also. It operated in the same manner as the 70-72 cowl induction. I had an 81 ZEE and I took great pleasure in hearing that "clack" sound of the air induction flap opening as I mashed it to the floor with that banshee wail of the Quadrajet coming through it and two black stripes behind me! (at the track of course).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.